Wanted: Testers for hardware: will get free stuff!

As some people probably saw a few weeks (or was it months :P) ago, I did a load of acrylic covers for the arduino duemilanove.

I would also like to do covers for a variety of other arduino stuff and I am wondering if anyone will be willing to test some sizes of parts on their hardware (and then get a free final version of whatever it is).

I am going to be doing stuff for:
Arduino pro cover
Arduino mega cover
Arduino serial cover (same size as duemilanove?)
Arduino Bluetooth cover(same as something else?)
20x4 LCD stand and bezel (already done...)
16x2 LCD stand and bezel
Graphic LCD stand and bezel
Large graphic LCD stand and bezel
Sureelectronics LED matrices covers (various sizes)
USB regulated xbee cover (sparkfun)
Arduino boxes in clear acrylic (waterproof if I can get some silicone sheet to laser cut - anyone know of somewhere cheap in the UK, perhaps where I can get free samples? :P)

Anything I missed?

If you have any of these things and would be willing to be a tester for some stuff (free!) and then receive a free final version of whatever you tested then please contact me.

I would prefer for it to be people in the UK because then postage is cheap sending as a UK letter.

All of these parts will be available for sale in the forseable future so stay tuned if you are wanting any of this stuff.

Regards,

Mowcius

I can test the 20x4 and the 16x2 and the sureelectronics matricies(8x8?) if you would like.

Phil

I'm close to building a project with a 16x2 LCD and will at some point need a case for a Duemilanove with a shield...

If I can help, count me in.

Easty.

I can test the Sure electronics LED matrices cover if it fits the 24x16 model - Arduino Nano & 24x16 LED display board - YouTube

Arduino Nano & 24x16 LED display board - YouTube LED display revisited - YouTube

Andrew

Ok, sounds good. I will be contacting you all soon...
Anyone in the UK got the other stuff?

:wink:

Hi,

I`m in the UK and would be able to test the text LCD's, possibly a graphics LCD and sure electronics display (if the same size as the ones I have), as well as the XBee.

Would also be interested in one for the Bus Pirate, which I think would be popular.

Thanks!

I`m in the UK and would be able to test the text LCD's, possibly a graphics LCD and sure electronics display (if the same size as the ones I have), as well as the XBee.

Would also be interested in one for the Bus Pirate, which I think would be popular.

Well the idea is that I will design them to fit whatever size they are needed. If you would like one for the Bus Pirate then I will do one for the Bus Pirate! Even if I only do one, I then have the designs for anyone else who might want one.

The idea is that I will do cardboard lasercut tests, cheap to post and cheap to make. Then when I know that the sizes are correct, I will cut them in acrylic.

Mowcius

What laser are you using?

This sounds interesting.

Could you also do SMD stencils or similar? Not made of stainless steel, but a laser friendly plastic foil of about 0.25 to 0.5mm thickness ?

I'm asking because of a very specific problem:

Programming adapters for SMD 'arduino chips' sell for up to 300$ per piece. They're essentially ZIF sockets for the TQFP-32 package. That's a lot of money for a bit of plastic I figure.

You can of course program the chips after soldering them down, but that is suboptimal as well, and it takes too much time. What I need is a foil with cutouts the shape of the chip's pins. It needs to be glued down to a PCB and be just thick enough so it keeps the chip from moving across the traces on the board. Then I could fix the chip by pressing it down with a finger.

What laser are you using?

I wondered what you meant to start with and then it clicked that you were talking about the laser cutter ;D

I have a choice between a 35W and a 40W (I think) Universal laser cutter. I try to use the 40W because it can cut faster and it seems to cut slightly better (it has had a new processor recently) but I do not always have the choice and I use what's available.

They are not mine (that's why I can do stuff like this and do stuff cheapo) but I am thinking of making a large investment in one soon. Maybe one of the mini epilogue ones...

Mowcius

I can (and want to) help test the 16 x 2 lcd stand.
I have this lcd: Standard LCD 16x2 + extras [white on blue] : ID 181 : $9.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

For shipping sake; I live in MA, USA. In case that helps you pick your contestant. And yes that is the only item i could test on your list.

I'm not sure how this works.
I have lcd.
You might send lcd.
I test it on my lcd.
I write review.
I send back.
Done?

Good luck with your secret plan! ::slight_smile: :smiley:

what size is the glcd stand, I have a old Hyundai that has a board just abit bigger than your average generic ksxxx based 64x128 glcd

(and ps I am not in the UK, just interested for the future)

I can (and want to) help test the 16 x 2 lcd stand.
I have this lcd: USB/Serial Converter [FT232RL] : ID 18 : $17.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits...

For shipping sake; I live in MA, USA. In case that helps you pick your contestant. And yes that is the only item i could test on your list.

I'm not sure how this works.
I have lcd.
You might send lcd.
I test it on my lcd.
I write review.
I send back.
Done?

Good luck with your secret plan!

I get the dimensions from the board files and people send me the sizing they have measured on their board. I then laser cut a load of tests out of carboard and send them a test for every piece of hardware they have. Then they confirm and send me a picture to show that it is the right size and I then send them a final acrylic version which I will eventually be selling...

I'm afraid I have had a lot of interest so I would rather not pay for US postage if I don't have to. I will keep you updated on when I get my website up though...

what size is the glcd stand, I have a old Hyundai that has a board just abit bigger than your average generic ksxxx based 64x128 glcd

If you can give me the sizing of what you want then I can make up a design file and put it on my list if you want one.

Mowcius

I'm interested into a Diecimila+Ethernet case. It would be nice to be able to remove the plastic opposite the USB/Power/Ethernet connectors for adding other connectors. (in my case a 3-pin something for I2C)
If you see what I mean?

I live in Paris.

tep

PS: And it would be great to cover those who bought another W5100 ethernet shield, for example from DFRobot like me. (The Ethernet connector is in the center and not left like USB.)

I'm interested into a Diecimila+Ethernet case. It would be nice to be able to remove the plastic opposite the USB/Power/Ethernet connectors for adding other connectors. (in my case a 3-pin something for I2C)
If you see what I mean?

Yes, I see what you mean. The design I had in mind was doing it in layers from the bottom of the arduino, then sections round it and then a lid on the top, connector holes in the 'spacing' pieces. This would make it easy to get different spacing pieces for different hardware sockets or an 'open sided' one could be bought to fit any connectors coming through it. The whole thing would be bolted together at the corners to hold it all together...
If you get what I mean :wink:

Mowcius

That's it :wink:

This might be a noobish question, but is it "safe" to lasercut cardboard? Seems like it would just burst into flames haha. ;D

I have a Sparkfun GLCD if you want me to help.

This might be a noobish question, but is it "safe" to lasercut cardboard? Seems like it would just burst into flames haha

You would have thought that it would but due to the extraction you get little bursts and then it gets starved of oxygen so stops burning...

Mowcius

I have a Sparkfun GLCD if you want me to help.

Is that the 128x64 or the 160x128?

Mowcius