Another Plataforms as Arduino

Hi everyone,

I've recently done a project with arduino boards. And I was wondering if you can help me. I need to know about another plataforms as powerJaguar and pingüino. These two are clones of Arduino. But, do you know about anything else? What did it happen when arduino didn't exist?

thank you for your time,

greetings!

Hi,

I add two more alternatives:

raspberry is cheaper than arduino
picaxe sell microcontrollers

I suppose that before arduino existed you should buy a microcontroller, and programme it. Arduino allows you change the bootloader, change the function of the chip. But others does not, you have to work with it and you can't change it.
Please, if I am wrong I would appreciate if you tell to me.

thanks everyone,

greetings!

Pi is way more powerful than Arduino, Picaxe is way less powerful.

I suppose that before arduino existed you should buy a microcontroller, and programme it.

True, and still the case at times but things like the Arduino have removed the requirement for most people to get down and dirty.

Arduino allows you change the bootloader, change the function of the chip.

True, although "change the function of the chip" is probably not the way I would describe programming it.

But others does not, you have to work with it and you can't change it.

Yes and no. You can't change the Picaxe at all as it's proprietary, most of the new high-spec boards can be "changed" if you have the right programming equipment but I doubt many people will do this.

Rob

Before Arduino there was PIC and BASIC Stamp. As I see it the Arduino is more cost effective. The tools (Arduino ISP and AVR Studio) are free and function very well, and in some ways, better than some of the commercial offerings. Basic Stamp can be easier to use, but is much more limited. I can also get unprogrammed chips, as well as chips with the Arduino Bootloader already installed. I have used my Arduino as an In System Programmer (ISP using ArduinoISP sketch) and programmed ATtiny2313 chips and other ATMega328 chip with the bootloader. Arduino is VERY EASY to interface with and is rather tolerant of poor circuit design....

Before those chips we used Zilog Z80, Z180, & Z8, Rockwell 6502, Motorola 6800 and 6809, Intell 8051, 8048, 8039 and other devices. They were more powerful than the ATMega328 but required much more hardware to be able to create a usable system. (they were all MICROPROCESSORS and needed external I/O devices, External ROM and RAM)

Hi everyone,

thank you for your answers. I want to share some information, maybe it could be useful to someone.

Besides, picaxe, pinguino and raspberry, I found different sort of motes as iSense, Waspmote, iMote, MicaZ, Telos, ... those are platforms composed of a microcontroller, a A/D conversor, some sensons, ... some of them are programmable through C...

By now, my new question is : Do you know another radio devices as Xbee from digi? I made a reseach, wikipedia is very useful. I selected :

• RP-M100, FirmTech.
•ProBee-ZE10 & ProBee-ZE20S, Sena Technologies.
•ProFLEX01 & SiFLEX02 de LS Research

I listed them because maybe there are other more importants than these ones that you could know.

Thank you all

greetings

@RF solutions

I like the products by Nordic: http://www.nordicsemi.com/kor/Products/2.4GHz-RF

Some people I know built a neat system with them: http://www.digitalurbanliving.dk/news/news/dul-radio.php

About the Pi vs Arduino thing.

The Pi is not merely 'more powerful' than the Arduino. They are simply different devices for different purposes. Tha RaspberyPi can do lots of things the Arduino is overtaxed with (i.e. video processing). The Arduino can do many things the RaspberryPi cannot (i.e. real time applications, better I/O options etc.)

I think very soon many people will start getting pretty disappointed with their Pis, as people have slightly unrealistic expectations...

Hi Fkeel,

Thank you for the intel. I appreciated it. Well I´m going to add this two marks you´ve told me.

And I want to ask a question, on my project I´m using Xbee modules from Digi, mainly because we have them on the laboratory... but as I know threre are some others modules perfectly suitable. But, I don´t know why could be a reason to use them and why don´t use another ones... I was reading the specifications and they are practically the same ... so maybe you could give me a hand.

Sorry for my English.

greetings

Graynomad:

Pi is way more powerful than Arduino, Picaxe is way less powerful.

yea, and you have a better chance of seeing a leprechaun fighting a wizard than getting your hands on a pi anytime soon

this is my pi on my hand.

no leprechauns.

fkeel:

Yeah, but you'd probably find 10 people who claim to have seen a leprechaun (though maybe not one fighting a wizard) for every person who's actually held an RPi.

fkeel:

no leprechauns.

great, your one of the 10,000 lottery winners in a very limited section of the world, but just like the lottery, I wouldn't bank my life on it. They haven't even offered to sell it outside of its few select markets, and even in its few select markets there's a least a years worth of back-orders at the moment.

on a more positive note, I got news today from NXP reps that they are starting to offer "Cortex Zero" 32 bit chips in 28 to 40 pin dip packages with a minimum of 1k of SRAM, no news on where its going to top out, but if you could get a 32 bit chip in a 28 pin package with 2k of ram for about the same price as ATMEL is on their 8 bitters then, you could have something interesting in between

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers/cortex_m0/#products

I was not one of the initial 10.000 - I just got it last week. And I am in mainland europe where they initially where not allowed to ship to, due to some legal reasons I do not understand.

fkeel:

no leprechauns.

No leprechauns here either.

I've got two, one in each hand :slight_smile: I ordered from both suppliers and was lucky enough to get one one from the original 10K and a second from the second batch.

Someone is already porting wiring to the RPi, check out https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/wiringpi/ so we may get an Arduino like setup on the RPi.

You can run Arduino on the RPi if you want to use one to program your Uno etc.

how about a "non-arduino" like setup? I personally would like more of a functional and less of an imperative approach than wiring/arduino offers... I think this would be a really nice chance to create something new. Also, as I said before, the raspberryPi simply is not an Arduino and will need its own solutions.