The pcDuino?

Saw this on the Sparkfun new product post. Searched for it here and got 1 unrelated hit.

Looks like an interesting product. It says its compatible with Arduino shields, and can be programmed using a simple Arduino-like interface.

Looks nice.
As we are in Arduino land it is important to state tat there are still lots of conditional statements on the arduino compatibility.
I'll hold my horses for now.
Best regards
Jantje

It says its compatible with Arduino shields

Where to plug ??
=> (Adapter Needed for Shield Form-Factor)

Written like this it is also compatible with 220V and 110V as there is only a adapter needed for the voltage...:wink:

Still it are these concepts that can move the world forward. Suppose every laptop and tablet would have a build-in Arduino with some extension slot that can be mapped upon shields or breadboards. Then I could experiment all day !

robtillaart:

Where to plug ??

In the comments you can read that the adaptor shield is in development.
Who knows what it will cost....
Best regards
Jantje

robtillaart:

Where to plug ??

Written like this it is also compatible with 220V and 110V as there is only a adapter needed for the voltage...:wink:

Still it are these concepts that can move the world forward. Suppose every laptop and tablet would have a build-in Arduino with some extension slot that can be mapped upon shields or breadboards. Then I could experiment all day !

Apparently that group of 4 headers on the right side of the board are setup the same as the ones on an arduino (two headers for digital 0 - 13, one header for analog in, and one header for power distribution). Its not clear if the logic is 3.3v or 5v though. I would hope 5v, for it to be "Arduino compatible".

They have said that the adapter is just needed to give the correct spacing for the pins, so you could make your own with jumpers if you dont want to wait/pay.

I posted this here because I thought the board might have some sort of connection to Arduino, it seems that is not the case. Not sure how I feel about it using the 'duino name now.

Not sure how I feel about it using the 'duino name now.

Well anyone is free to use "duino" although it's getting pretty tiresome.

If those headers are electrically compatible and the board can be programmed with the IDE I think it's fair to call it "Arduino compatible" even if a physical adaptor is required. After all the Arduino header placement sucks in at least two three ways and what they have done is an improvement IMO.

Rob

Looks useful... I would probably take the bait if it really CAN be programmed properly in an Arduino-style environment (I simply don't have the time to learn anything more complicated). Having that level of simplicity paired with absolute pissloads of RAM/CPU power would save me having to make a lot of compromises. I don't really mind it running something Linux-y in the background as long as I can still make it do my bidding with as much ease as one would with an Uno etc.

I see the board has RT and TX pins, as well as 3.3v and 5V pins.

Has anyone tried using a PCDuino as Arduino programmer, instead of sometimes like a FOCA?

It looks like my pcDuino v3 is going to be a 'non-starter'. :frowning: Not much participation for some reason.
I've been unable to get an Arduino program going on my version 3 (ubuntu).
I found a fix for the GPIO error on the web, but cannot find anything on the /proc/adc0 missing error.
There are no adc items in /proc.

Its been a bit enjoyable and a big challenge to make progress, but I'm not giving up.
The Chrome browser has a habit of choking, but Firefox is running OK
Fixing up a Class 10 sdcard and putting everything there speeds is up a LOT. Running just the NAND system is OK, but SLOW.

Help, comments? Bo

Good luck? Got nothing else to offer ...

bobarry:
Fixing up a Class 10 sdcard and putting everything there speeds is up a LOT. Running just the NAND system is OK, but SLOW.

Haven't put it to the test much so far, but glad I did not pay too much for my two.

The source site and marketing seems to have gone rather silent.