Many (80+) potentiometers

Hi,
I'm looking to build a MIDI controller to access all of my Alesis Micron's sound module settings. It's about 80 of them and I want every single one to be controlled by a potentiometer.
I was wondering how can I get it wired up with Arduino. Multiplexer matrix or something?

You can use a mux, but still, 80 is a lot for just one microcontroller... Maybe use a couple?

How about having 5x 74HC4067? Is it possible?

Hi, yes I would think that would work. Each multiplexer would have its output connected to an Arduino analog input. 4 Arduino digital outputs would drive the address pins of all 5 multiplexers in parallel. But is 80 pots the most sensible way to access all those settings?

Paul

Thanks for your answer, Paul. I'll make schematic drawing in Fritzing and post it here soon.

PaulRB:
But is 80 pots the most sensible way to access all those settings?

Images below are software examples of what I intend to do:
http://www.elec-intro.com/EX/05-15-00/retroware_micronAU.jpg
http://www.elec-intro.com/EX/05-15-00/midictrl.jpg
(note that green boxes with text are also selectable)

I need to have deeper look at it and maybe try to resign from options I might not need...

'll make schematic drawing in Fritzing and post it here soon.

Please don't. Fritzing is crap and useless, pleas post a proper schematic even drawn by hand and posting a photo is far better than Fritzing.

How about one knob with a multy way switch to select which MIDI CC you want it applying to. You can use a rotary encoder and a 7 segment display to see the value.

You can use Fritzing to draw a schematic. The problem is that so many newbies post Fritzing diagrams here that are "Breadboard view" not "Schematic view".

This happens because they (the newbs) don't understand the differences or the importance of Schematic view. The Fritzing website does not push this agenda. There is a page full of links to tutorials and examples in breadboard view and pcb layout view, but unfortunately

Schematic View

• no specific tutorials yet

which is very poor considering they have been going for several years now and how important drawing a schematic is in the process of designing a circuit.

Of course those software examples give the hint - you do not nowadays use actual potentiometers, you use virtual ones on a display, and control them with a a mouse (or a touch screen and one or two rotary encoders).

A Raspberry Pi looks like the machine for the job.

A Raspberry Pi looks like the machine for the job.

Have you used one?
I have six, and written three books on the Pi and I would not use a Pi for this.

Grumpy_Mike:
How about one knob with a multy way switch to select which MIDI CC you want it applying to. You can use a rotary encoder and a 7 segment display to see the value.

The biggest fun with synths is to play around and experiment with different parameters settings, having most of it's functions easy accessible it's way easier. I'm going to make some ways around whenever I can.

I managed to make a basic drawing, didn't expect to take it that long. I hope it's clear enough. It doesn't implement exactly what I want to do yet.

PNG attached to this post, (actually didn't work to attach, image is here) PDF available here

I have to make list of a control settings I want to have on my control board. I had a quick look today and it looks like I might even need the sixth multiplexer... However there's some parameters that they have only two values, some of them three or four only. I think there will be no need to use potentiometer in this case... Do you have any thoughts?

Don't use Arduino outputs 0 or 1. They are used for sketch upload and other comms with the PC. Any of the others will be fine instead.

Add 0.1uF caps between 5V and GND close to each chip to prevent interference problems.

The pot at top left has no ground connection.

Paul

PaulRB:
Don't use Arduino outputs 0 or 1. They are used for sketch upload and other comms with the PC. Any of the others will be fine instead.

Add 0.1uF caps between 5V and GND close to each chip to prevent interference problems.

The pot at top left has no ground connection.

Thank Paul for your answer,

I hope I did it right:
PNG
PDF
(Still having problems with uploading files..)