Arduino Motor Shield Stepper Motor control with Joystick

Well, when the joystick is in the center and not moving, the motor shouldn't do anything and stop. When the joystick is pressed to the left or right, the motor must move in the respective direction and the further the joystick moves from the center, the faster the speed of the motor must be. So basically left and right movement via the joystick as well as speed adjusting as the joystick moves further from the center pin.

The purpose of this setup is to slide a camera left and right, faster and slower on a rail of plus minus 1.5m in length. Attached to the stepper motor's shaft will be a pulley and on the other side just a normal shaft enclosed in a bearing unit also containing a pulley. I'll then use timing belt to slide the camera left and right.

Here are my stepper motor specs:

2 Phase Hybrid (Model: 23HS6430)
3A
Bipolar
4 Wires
1.8 degree step angle

I'm really not very clued up with prototyping and therefore if you can help me to amend the code to work with my setup, I'll really be happy since I've been battling and struggling to get the project going. But looking at my connection setup, is everything connected to the right pins etc?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards

Ian