Record and playback music/sounds not using shields

Does anybody have any links/tutorials on how to record and playback music/sounds using ISD chips or SD cards WITHOUT buying an audio/wave shield or any shield.
I like to have a way to playback without using a shield.
Even make my own shield from scratch?

Anything will help!
thanks!

Visit Atmel.com, there is application note AVR335, with a "recorder" code

You could use an arduino to control an APR9600 chip, it is an old chip though but still quite readily available.

Magician:

"This application note describes how to record, store and play back sound using any AVR microcontroller with A/D converter, the AT45DB161B DataFlash memory and a few extra components."

Sounds take up a LOT of memory. Where do you plan to store all that data?

how to record and playback music/sounds using ISD chips or SD cards

Flash memory not quite SD, but not much difference conceptually

I had the same general question.

With a microphone input module (Microphone Sound Input Module | Freetronics), I should be able to store at least some amount of raw audio data. I've got a Freetronics EtherTen (EtherTen Arduino compatible with onboard Ethernet | Freetronics), which includes a microSD slot, so storage shouldn't be a problem.

Then it should also be possible to play the audio back via one or more outputs, right?

(Clearly I need to do more reading and playing with the EtherTen, or I'd already know these answers.)

I should be able to store at least some amount of raw audio data.

Yes about a quarter of a second.

which includes a microSD slot, so storage shouldn't be a problem.

Yes but you can't store sound data in real time an SD card on the arduino is too slow.

Then it should also be possible to play the audio back via one or more outputs, right?

No not with any sort of quality, there is no way to output analogue voltages that change quickly on an arduino.

Grumpy_Mike, you're probably right, but I refer you here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,64217.0.html for a high-audio-frequency sine wave generator using an Arduino and some minimal external circuitry.

I do realize that generating a sine wave is nothing like the same thing as playing back recorded audio.

johnwasser:

Magician:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1456.pdf

"This application note describes how to record, store and play back sound using any AVR microcontroller with A/D converter, the AT45DB161B DataFlash memory and a few extra components."

Sounds take up a LOT of memory. Where do you plan to store all that data?

if you're making short loops, can't you store them on a small RAM chip? if so, which chip are you looking for and how does it connect?