ANOTHER Sainsmart 3.2" TFT Screen topic..

Hi there,

I like many many MANY other people seem to be having problems with this screen.

I have tried pretty much every resource available and I cannot get the thing to display anything other than the LED backlight..

I am positive that it is simply me being a complete n00b but I could really use some help with this screen.

My specific situation -

Libraries installed:

UTFT.h
ITDB02.h
ITDB02_Graph16.h
ITDB02_Touch.h

Arduino being used: Genuine Arduino Mega2560

I do NOT have the shield for this screen I am simply trying to connect it up using the pins.

Every place I look seems to have different pinouts for the libraries and quite frankly I am confused as anything right now.

the ebay link I bought the screen from is as follows:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280920642812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

From this listing I have the following information:

Specification:
240374PQ
65K color
320*240
3.2 inch
Wide viewing angle
SSD1289:240 RGB x 320 TFT Driver
Integrated Power, Gate and Source Driver With RAM
ADS7843:4-WIRE TOUCH, UP TO 125kHz CONVERSION RATE, SERIAL INTERFACE

Though I am not sure how much of that will be of use.

I really hope someone can help me getting this to work.

For now I would be happy if I can get get the screen to output information and print out text. I am not overly bothered about the Touch capability or the SD card reader right now.

Nathan :slight_smile:

Here is a layout of the shield, SSD1289 : question about the RD pin - #16 by guix - Displays - Arduino Forum

The lines are connected through a 10k resistor.

These are the UTFT values it uses:

UTFT Display( ITDB32S, 38, 39, 40, 41);

The mega double row header is on the right, the LCD connects to the shield on the left.

Excuse my newbieness but how on gods green earth am I meant to be able to read that haha!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I received the display yesterday but still waiting for cables. Based on what I found so far I think you try to connect
TFT -> Mega
LEDA -> 5V
VCC -> 5V
RD -> 3.3V
GND -> GND
DB0..DB7 -> pin D37->D30
DB8..DB15 -> pin D22->D29
RS -> D38
WR -> D39
CS(pin6) -> D40
RSET -> D41

Thank you so much Thomas02!!

I got it to display the demo! :smiley:

no problem. if you want to use touch and SD card you should also connect

Touch -> Mega
DCLK-> D6
CS(pin 30) -> D5
IN -> D4
OUT-> D3
IRQ -> D2

DCLK, TCS, DIN, OUT, IRQ can be wired to any free pin on your Mega. But you should initialize it accordingly with myTouch(DCLK,CS,IN,OUT,IRQ).

SD Card -> Mega
SCK -> D52
MISO -> D50
MOSI-> D51
CS -> D53

Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

I will let you all know how I get on.

I will try to upload a video showing my progress. I am also currently compiling a document that will contain the pinouts, diagrams and basic setup to use this screen with a generic setup rather than the demo's.

Thanks again for all of everyones help.

Nathan

I apologise for the double post but here is a video as promised.

For some reason the screen has developed a screen flickering.. Does anyone else have this problem with the LCD? Or does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Below is the youtube link to the video.

The touch screen is not yet working and neither is the SD slot. For now I am happy to get all the kinks out of the LCD display.

Kindest regards,

Nathan

I was just tinkering with my new sainsmart 3.2, and I got it work fairly well these librarys. Mind you I'm using the lcd shield from sainsmart too, cause I didnt want to do all the ridiculous wiring
Electronics - Henning Karlsen for touch
Electronics - Henning Karlsen for display

dosftw:
I apologise for the double post but here is a video as promised.

For some reason the screen has developed a screen flickering.. Does anyone else have this problem with the LCD? Or does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Below is the youtube link to the video.

Sainsmart 3.2" TFT LCD Problems - YouTube

The touch screen is not yet working and neither is the SD slot. For now I am happy to get all the kinks out of the LCD display.

Kindest regards,

Nathan

At least that doesn't look like a dodgy display, check your connections and make sure the RD pin is pulled high, as floating values will cause stuff similar to that.

Once again excuse the n00bie-ness but what do you mean by RD is pulled High?

Obviously I know what you mean by RD as you are referring to the Pin that is going to the 3.3v point on the Arduino.

Best regards,

Nathan

PS. Having just read another topic on the same TFT screen, I think the most appropriate work for describing what is happening on screen is it becomes extremely 'noisy'.

Nathan

Yeah its noisy alright.

If the RD pin is connected to 3.3v, then it is fine. The odd occasion I have had noise on my screen, was due to a loose wire.

When the screen is running and goes noisy, gently press the wires in ( if not soldered ) and see if the noise goes away or changes with your touch.

pYro_65:
Yeah its noisy alright.

If the RD pin is connected to 3.3v, then it is fine. The odd occasion I have had noise on my screen, was due to a loose wire.

When the screen is running and goes noisy, gently press the wires in ( if not soldered ) and see if the noise goes away or changes with your touch.

Hmm that is strange as my RD pin is connected to 3.3v..

I have ordered some more Male to Female jumper leads with the square housing.. So hopefully if there ARE any loose connections due to the circular jump leads then they will be fixed by the new square ones.

I will keep you all updated and hopefully once I get the new Male to Female leads i will be able to use the touch screen and SD slot too.

Nathan

The noise you are getting is quite common when you are feeding the 3.3v TFT controller with 5v signals....

There is actaully a reason why there are resistors or level translating ICs on the adapter shields.

/Henning

doc_norway:
The noise you are getting is quite common when you are feeding the 3.3v TFT controller with 5v signals....

There is actaully a reason why there are resistors or level translating ICs on the adapter shields.

/Henning

Even if I run the LED-A through a resistor it is still the same though.

Anything I can do to prevent it without having to use a cumbersome shield that prevents access to the unused pins?

Also on another note, I have a load of 74HC595 Shift Registers, is there any way to use these to reduce the number of pins that the screen requires?

Nathan

The LED-A is supposed to get 5v. It is only used for the backlight.
The problem is all of the signal pins. They are rated for a maximum input of Vddio which in the case of the SSD1289 is maximum 3.6v (typically 3.3v).

You don't have to use a shield, but there is a possibility of killing your screen if you don't lower the signal voltage. This can normally be done by running a 10k ohm resistor in series with each signal (applies to the display, touch screen and the SD card).

It is possible to use 74HC595s to reduce the pin count, but you will have to rewrite the I/O part of the library, and the data transfer rate will be much slower.

/Henning

Hey everyone, I just thought I would make good on my promise to post a video of my screen working.

Here I have the SD demo uploaded into my Arduino showing a selection of .RAW images.

Unfortunately.. for some reason the screen is very blue :S is has been like that since I got it working.

I have also replaced the jumpers with nice and neatly arranged and tidy Male to Female cables that came in the post today :slight_smile: If you live in the UK and you buy a lot of stuff on eBay then 4tronix_uk are a fantastic eSeller. Extremely helpful, courteous and efficient. I hope its ok to say that on the boards, if not let me know and I will remove it from my post .

Nathan

Does anyone think they know why the display is extremely blue?

Nathan

Which SD card are you using are how have you wired in the sd slot?

Im having trouble getting mine to work! :~