Good forum to ask workshop tool questions?

Wondered if anyone has a link to a good forum for asking questions about Hobby workshop tools basics like what TPI blades to use on certain materials, and drill speeds.....all the ones Iv come across are very engineering minded and a little intimidating, for someone with just a band-saw and drill press!

(As im here I may aswell ask the question here that I wanted to ask, as I know alot of you guys know you stuff when it comes to tools!

Can I get a simple cheap XY table for a drill press, so I can use it for very simple milling tasks?)

Im no expert, but I wondered this myself.
My research/searches came up with the conclusion that the bearings and build of the drill will not take the lateral forces for long before failing.
Also the bearings are not accurate enough.
I believe the term is runout its the amount the tip of the tool can move from true.
My bench drill has a visible runout at the drill tip as its a fairly cheap model from machine mart.
Also the chuck is a press fit, not always pressed straight and true.
Also the lateral forces can loosen the chuck on its taper fitting and you can get a large lump of metal with a sharp tool attached to it flying across the room.

Sorry for the bad news.

Gordon

found this Mod quite interesting

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?31492-Milling-on-a-drill-press

Bit of tinkering, and a cheap Cross vice as a xy table.

n00b:
Wondered if anyone has a link to a good forum for asking questions about Hobby workshop tools basics like what TPI blades to use on certain materials, and drill speeds.....all the ones Iv come across are very engineering minded and a little intimidating, for someone with just a band-saw and drill press!

(As im here I may aswell ask the question here that I wanted to ask, as I know alot of you guys know you stuff when it comes to tools!

Can I get a simple cheap XY table for a drill press, so I can use it for very simple milling tasks?)

Regarding what to read to figure this stuff out - go to google books, and start browsing old Popular Science magazines; anything from about 1950-1970 is where you want to look. During those decades (more-so in the 1950s), the "big thing" was the home workshop, so there is an absolute ton of articles in those issues about "how to get the most from your drill press" and "building a better table saw", and similar things of that nature. I'm reading 1958 right now (started with January 1950), and I'm serious - you'll find everything you need and then some about all kinds of shop techniques for wood, plastic, and metal. Homemade spot welders, table saws, sanders, etc - Popular Science in that era was the "Make Magazine" of its day.

Regarding the drill press as a milling machine - this can be done; as has already been noted, it won't be very accurate, and depending on the drill press, side-loads on the chuck can cause issues. You'll basically want to take small and slow cuts on each pass, and only mill soft materials (brass and/or possibly light aluminum are about the max). You can easily find tables like this:

:slight_smile:

n00b:
Wondered if anyone has a link to a good forum for asking questions about Hobby workshop tools

Have a look at Forums - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

Most of them can't spell aluminium or colour but that's about the only disadvantage.

Most of them can't spell aluminium or colour but that's about the only disadvantage.

haha :smiley:

djc:

n00b:
Wondered if anyone has a link to a good forum for asking questions about Hobby workshop tools

Have a look at Forums - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

lol thanks for the linkage!