Female headers similar to Arduino

RS don't you just love 'em ;D

Actually you can get a range of sizes. Try

I want to be able to stack another stripboard on top of these.

Have a look at the shield stacking headers from AdaFruit.

Thanks for the RS links - have to say that I prefer Farnell - free postage and they deliver stuff next day even if you order it reallllllllly late.

While I like to support the Arduino vendors etc - I must say I prefer to find them direct - it's usually far cheaper even if it takes an extra 10 mins to find.

(not that I can find those bits on the Farnell site)mail

Here's what I found on Farnell

If you do order from RS/Farnell etc, have a look at the specs/drawings first because some of the headers are not very tall.

i get my ones from http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/connects.html

where they are called Single Row Sockets, and come pre cut as 2,3,4,8,16 and 25.

And much cheaper then the big on-line stores!

Thanks for that - Bitsbox looks great.

www.coolcomponents.co.uk also does them - useful site

oh pre-cut ones, nice one.

anyone worked out a good way of cutting the 40-way ones to size? I've tried wired cutters, knife, side cutters, but they nearly always break in a way that means the end contact falls out :frowning:

I don't know why they can't pre-score them like the male equivalent.

You will always lose one pin with the female headers. Trying to cut them without sacrificing one means you'll lose 2 instead of 1 (and maybe trash the whole thing in the process).

I use a dremel tool with abrasive cutoff wheel (preferred method) or small sharp diagonal cutters (decent second choice) to cut directly down the center of the sacrificial pin.

-j

great tip! counter-intuitive, but cutting right on the "sacrificial pin" does it perfectly.

Then a little smoothing of the cut surface with a file or sandpaper and it will look like store bought :wink:

Lefty

I know it's a bit late, but the RS link I posted above is for the DIL socket, not the SIL version. Guess who just took delivery of some ::).

Here's also stackable headers, that also includes a stackable ICSP connector. Just a weeeeeee bit cheaper than the adafruit (0,01$) :wink:

http://www.nkcelectronics.com/arduino-stackable-header-kit.html

Just ordered from them (intl.). They seem to have quite a good stock of arduino related stuff.

/Kristian

+1 for the NKC headers.

I bought several sets last time I ordered from NKC. They work well, and look better than the headers I cut to fit.

-j

In case it's helpful for bigger orders, I've found two main sources for these long-square-tailed-female-headers.

The first is Samtec:
SSQ-108-03-G-S
SSQ-106-03-G-S
They're pretty pricey, but they do deliver very quickly.

The second is Don Connex (whose UK distributor is Toby - they've already been mentioned)
B06b-1x6-AGC1-G
B06b-1x8-AGC1-G
I'd happily recommend Toby by the way. Friendly and efficient.

There's a third source, which is 4uconn, but I don't think their tails are quite square (but I'm not sure that matters). Their part numbers are 18688 and 18689.

The samtec parts above are the gold-flash version. Below is a picture of the matte-tin finish version.

[edit: And, as is often the case, I've completely misunderstood the question! - My waffling was for the long-tailed headers that are suitable for stacking shields - the OP just wanted standard female headers... Oh well, someone might find the info useful ]

I sell the samtech ones over here.

The samtec ones are a little bit pricier, but the quality is very good. I've seen a lot of the cheaper ones get loose after a few insertions.

Daniel.

Also, if you pull the "sacrificial" pin out with needlenose pliers first it makes it a lot easier to cut!

Amen to the sacrificial pin Vxir, the ICSP header could be made out of a chopped 8. It just dawned on me that the ICSP stack would go upside down to be useful....