[Project] Realization of a hexapod

Good morning (or good evening) everyone,

first of all, forgive me if my English is bad, I unfortunately don't speak very well this beautiful language.

Now, before presenting my project, I want to introduce myself : I am a teenager of seventeen years old living in Switzerland, currently studying in the college and who wants to continue his studies in the EPFL.

Today, I wanted to ask you professionals some questions about my project I am doing for a studying purpose, which is to build a hexapod. This is the first time I'm doing some robotics, so I'm not used with the practices. A hexapod is certainly not the best project to do for a first time in the robotics for a beginner, but I like when there is some challenge. Besides, Ia not beginning from anything x)

Let's speak about the hexapod. I am going to begin from a kit by DFRobot (http://www.robotshop.com/kit-robot-hexapode-dfrobot.html), in which the micro-controller is an Arduino Mega. Today, I have everything in my house, but now I have a big problem, which is to know "how must I begin my project ?". Indeed, I began by testing a bit my Arduino (knowing the C++, I can easily program in Arduino), but now I don't know how I must build my project, which means to say myself "now, I must do that and, when it will be finished, I must program this element, etc...". So, if anyone has a tutorial which explains this or could help me, I would be very grateful.

I too have questions about the following. When my robot will be able to walk properly, I want to add some "gadgets". I already have two ideas :

1. The first one is to put a camera on my robot, which will permit me to see, through my computer, what does my robot see through this camera. Here, if anyone knows a camera which is good for that and which is not very heavy, I would be very happy.
  2. The second one is to put sensors on my hexapod legs, which will permit me to know if the legs are touching the ground or not, and to know the hexapod's position. Here too, if anyone know sensors which are of good quality, I am interested.

So, those are the questions I currently have. I know that this work will need a lot of work and of patience, but I am ready to spend a lot of times on this project, which is meaningful for me.

Thanks in advance for your answers ! : D

Re the foot sensors, Lynxmotion have them for their hexapods

http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-626-hexapod-foot-sensor-pair.aspx
http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-728-tubing-foot-switch-kit-pair.aspx

They are designed for a tubular leg but you could probably adapt them.

Lynxmotion appear to have some real nice chassis as well if you haven't already bought the DF Robot one it may be worth looking at them.

Rob

hex project you may want to look at.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8409

Hello,

firstly, thank you very much for your answers : D

Graynomad -> These foot sensors are only compatible with Lynxmotion robots, right ? Because I have already bought the DFRobot Kit, so I can't choose to begin with another kit :confused:

zoomkat -> Thanks for your link, which is very interesting. The problem is that I still hesitate about what I must do first. Can I already build the robot mechanically speaking, then do all the programmatic/electronic stuff or should I begin by programming the servos then putting them in the legs ?

You may want to first get 3 servos to experiment with. Three servos could simulate three legs making ground contact (similar to the below test), or make a single 3 servo leg for testing. This would let you get some experience prior to spending big $$$ on what may be a very complex project.

OP, yes you have to take this in "small" steps, starting with easy, then going to more difficult.

1. learn how to write programs on the Arduino.
  2. learn how to control servos and sensors separately using the Arduino.
  3. assembly just one leg, and learn how to control the various leg joints to get useful motions.
  4. keep going from there.

These foot sensors are only compatible with Lynxmotion robots, right ?

It looks like they are intended to be used with tubular legs like the Lynxmotion bots have, as such you'd have to adapt them somehow or maybe just see what they've done and make your own version.

Rob