Bricked? Was working fine, but RX LED ON and COM port issue

Hi,
I was happily discovering my Leonardo for months without problems. After uploading the state machine example from here (coming with SM libraries) my board stopped working. It's windows 8.0 x64 + Arduino 1.5.5r2 with AVRISP mkII (not sure why).

I tested with another USB cable and read many posts in this forum. The driver seems fine (uninstalled many times), I checked VID and PID (OK).
In Windows it is seen as installed but says that: This device couldn't be started (Code 10) A request for the USB device descriptor failed. (translated from my language)
It's on COM8 but this port doesn't show up in 1.5.5 IDE or I must be more precise:
On reset, the bootloader is assigned on COM12 (while booting) and visible in ports list in IDE.
Then it goes on COM8 and is NOT visible in ports list in IDE. I also forced it to be on COM12 but doesn't fix anything.
Usually RX LED stays ON after reset or unplug-replug (why??) but not all the time.
Forced uploading of a script end up with: Board on COM12 is not available (but visible on same COM in device manager)

So as far as I understand : cable is fine since COM port is visible at board boot. IDE seems fine since it sees COM port at boot. windows seems fine at boot but not after.
Hmm, can I "hard"flush EEPROM content if the resident code blocks communication? Or is it my noobness?

Is there any guru who can help ? :slight_smile:
Thanks!

I don't own a Leonardo but I understand that with this board the USB interface is provided by the main processor and not as a separate chip. In that case I guess that the USB driver functionality will be built into the bootloader. Perhaps the bootloader or fuses have been corrupted somehow.

On the other boards, the bootloader and fuses can be set via the ICSP interface using a suitable programmer (if you have a second Arduino, that can be used as a programmer). I don't know that this applies to the Leonardo too, but my guess is it does. If so, this would give you a possible way to re-install the bootloader and reset the fuses. Note that when that process goes wrong it can also brick the Arduino, giving you the same sort of problem you have now.

Thanks Peter!
There's a ICSP "port" (2x3 pins) on this board, it's USBasp cable right? I don't have it but a friend sure have it and can give it a try in a week or so.
Are there other soft options I can try meanwhile :slight_smile: ?

jeanll:
There's a ICSP "port" (2x3 pins) on this board

That's the one you need. Read up on 'Arduino as ISP' to understand how to use it. Basically, you will need six wires and a capacitor in order to use one Arduino to program another.

Thanks again Peter,
Finally a friend helped me and we de-bricked the Leonardo. I ordered the cable for future use XD