Powering Arduino Ethernet with 5VDC

Hi,

is it possible to power an Arduino Ethernet directly with 5VDC/GND applied to the 5V/GND pins?
If so, how much mA are required?

Bouni

Looks like the W5100 Ethernet chip draws up to 183 mA. The rest of the Arduino draws less than 100 mA so I'd guess about 300 mA should do it.

Hi john,

i've tried to supply the Arduino with 5V provided by a LM2940 directly to the 5V pin. It works, but the LM2940 gots extremely hot (SOT223 package).
So i decided to use a 78S10 in a TO220 package connected to the Vin pin.

I also found this text in the description of the Arduino Ethernet Board:

5V. This pin outputs a regulated 5V from the regulator on the board. The board can be supplied with power either from the DC power jack (7 - 12V), the USB connector (5V), or the VIN pin of the board (7-12V). Supplying voltage via the 5V or 3.3V pins bypasses the regulator, and can damage your board. We don't advise it.

I think i use the Vin method in the future.

If you put more than 6V on the +5V pin you could damage the ATmega. Always use a REGULATED 5V supply when providing power to the +5V pin

There was some talk of 5V on the +5V pin possibly damaging the regulator but on reading the regulator specs I think that is only possible when there is a large (1000 mF) capacitor on the 5V line AND the input of the regulator is shorted to ground.