Using mega2560 as a ftdi breakout board

Hi there,

I have a need to program an separate gps device using an application on PC over serial/ftdi, can I use the mega 2560 as a ftdi breakout board rather than buying a separate one? I tried a search buy couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance

?? 2560 doesn't have an FTDI chip.

You could try grounding the Reset pin on the header, and connecting to the Rx & Tx pins at the D0/D1 header, connect to Gnd also, using the ATmege16U2 as the USB/Serial adapter for your GPS device.

Oh ok, damn. I just assumed that's what it was using for the usb... Looks like I'll just have to get one of these :wink:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FTDI-Basic-Breakout-Arduino-USB-TTL-6-PIN-3-3-5V-for-MWC-MultiWii-Lite-SE-/300854663806?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item460c55da7e&_uhb=1#ht_6124wt_952

thx.

Is there a way I can just use the arduino as a usb to serial converter with the arduino effectively in series with the computer and target device?

Is there a way I can just use the arduino as a usb to serial converter with the arduino

As CrossRoads says:

Connect a jumperwire from reset to ground.

Just to be sure nothing bad happens to your Arduino you should first upload
an empty sketch to the UNO, and connect a 220 ohms resistor between The Uno and target device

Alternatively you can remove the Atmega from your Arduino

The FTDI board you referenced is a really good product and a very nice price. I don't know the exact exchange rate but the part is under $3.00 US, a very good price and the solution to a lot of potential issues.

Bob