Go Down

Topic: Composite video output  (Read 214 times) previous topic - next topic

DocStein99

I'm trying to get the best for the cheapest, in choosing CCD / CMOS board camera.  I have looked at the BNC style security cameras, labratory BNC microscope ccd cameras, and a bunch of on-board ccd/cmos cameras commonly used for quad-copter r/c live video.  I think the on-board ccd/cmos cameras are just the GUTS of what's inside those big fat huge BNC security / labratory cameras, without all the nice R/F filtering probably.

The stats on these devices, some of them claim 800 tvl, 1000 tvl, 1200 tvl. 

Is this fiction?  I thought there was a limitation to the composite video standard signal 480 or 560 lines.  In order to display anything above that, I would need to use an hd-signal, or a processed data stream?

If a composite video signal has a resolution limitation, and the camera claims 1200 tvl with anything over a 1.3 megapixel, then it's overkill - since that signal has to be degraded to sent though a composite wire.  No?  I'm confused.

Does anyone here know more about this?

Zapro

AWOL

If you don't have a composite signal (i.e. you're not multiplexing colour information, you've just got luminance), then yes, you could quite easily have greater than 500 line resolution.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

DocStein99

Ok, I call B.S..  If composite video had an infinite resolution limit, nobody would go through the task of inventing other video formats.  There wouldn't really be a need for HDMI port, if the composite video could handle a high resolution.  But than again, apple keeps claiming to invent new technologies, like the $100 plastic stylus that has a magnet on the end of it....

The display is limited to a set frequency signal at 50 or 60 HZ.  I think each line takes "X" number of micro/milliseconds to hold each pixel before advancing next column, next pixel - on to the end of the line and advances a row to the bottom, and start at top again.  If it sent any more information than the display was expecting to receive - it had to be at at faster frequency scan rate. 

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy