Go Down

Topic: Composite video output  (Read 560 times) previous topic - next topic

DocStein99

I'm trying to get the best for the cheapest, in choosing CCD / CMOS board camera.  I have looked at the BNC style security cameras, labratory BNC microscope ccd cameras, and a bunch of on-board ccd/cmos cameras commonly used for quad-copter r/c live video.  I think the on-board ccd/cmos cameras are just the GUTS of what's inside those big fat huge BNC security / labratory cameras, without all the nice R/F filtering probably.

The stats on these devices, some of them claim 800 tvl, 1000 tvl, 1200 tvl. 

Is this fiction?  I thought there was a limitation to the composite video standard signal 480 or 560 lines.  In order to display anything above that, I would need to use an hd-signal, or a processed data stream?

If a composite video signal has a resolution limitation, and the camera claims 1200 tvl with anything over a 1.3 megapixel, then it's overkill - since that signal has to be degraded to sent though a composite wire.  No?  I'm confused.

Does anyone here know more about this?

Zapro

AWOL

If you don't have a composite signal (i.e. you're not multiplexing colour information, you've just got luminance), then yes, you could quite easily have greater than 500 line resolution.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

DocStein99

Ok, I call B.S..  If composite video had an infinite resolution limit, nobody would go through the task of inventing other video formats.  There wouldn't really be a need for HDMI port, if the composite video could handle a high resolution.  But than again, apple keeps claiming to invent new technologies, like the $100 plastic stylus that has a magnet on the end of it....

The display is limited to a set frequency signal at 50 or 60 HZ.  I think each line takes "X" number of micro/milliseconds to hold each pixel before advancing next column, next pixel - on to the end of the line and advances a row to the bottom, and start at top again.  If it sent any more information than the display was expecting to receive - it had to be at at faster frequency scan rate. 

Go Up