Estimated market for shield boards

Hello,

I am new to Arduino. I am invloved in projects utilizing the Arduino controller boards for motion control. I have noticed that the motor control shields currently offered are somewhat basic with limitied in performance. I am considering designing more robust motor controller shields with advanced performance and user interface features along with the associated code to sell. I would also offer shields specific to optical sensing and other sensor applications. Can anyone give me an idea how large or small the market potential would be for these type of shield?

Thanks,
T Boyd

Sparkfun, adafruit, rugged circuits. These are the ones with motor shields I know of. I don't know if they are open to discuss their sales though. If you are worried with spending too much time not getting enough money back, you don't belong to DIY electronics. This market is a niche anyway and motor shield hardware is a small portion of it.

I think someone who needs all the functionlity would simply buy a motor contorller with the features they need in it and wire it to the arduino, rather than use a shield. The only shiled I haveever used is RAMPS honestly, I use seperate boards otherwise, since they just lack the flexibility or adapatbility. and there are a million motor controllers out there. Now say you made a feature rich application specific shield, you may do better. Say 2 or 4 motor controllers w/ accel/decel control, regen, and some accellerometers and gyroscopes, but I can't tell you how big the market would be.

But I bet your documentation would be top notch!

my .02

If you can produce something better than what is out there, do it. There are some of us that would rather pay higher prices for better products. Provide good docs and support and you should be able to make some money.

We'd all like something better that costs less money! Oh, and is easier to use, too.
Better for more money is a more complicated question...

The best answer is to make one or more of your boards and see how much people are willing to pay for them.

westfw:
Better for more money is a more complicated question...

I have my answer from personal experience, hard to sell against the cheap stuff that don't have support or quality. Quality and support only become important after the purchase so rarely get considered when someone is saving money.

@Boyd_Labs: PLEASE do not cross-post.

I assume folks who want better-then-an-Arduino-shield motor control go to Pololu.

Thank you all for your responses. This is very useful information. I am new to Arduino it is not clear to me how big the market is for shields. What little I could find regarding Arduino sales seems quite impressive. My intention was to address the elegence of system integration using shields as apposed to functions wired into the host. I was hoping there would be intrest in not only motor drivers but optical detectors, laser drivers, and analog sensor interface shields offering high performance and robust but user friendly software. Many of which could be realized for a reasonable price. The key is the desire to simply plug the function directly on the Arduino and run.

T. Boyd

Boyd_Labs:
Thank you all for your responses. This is very useful information. I am new to Arduino it is not clear to me how big the market is for shields. What little I could find regarding Arduino sales seems quite impressive. My intention was to address the elegence of system integration using shields as apposed to functions wired into the host. I was hoping there would be intrest in not only motor drivers but optical detectors, laser drivers, and analog sensor interface shields offering high performance and robust but user friendly software. Many of which could be realized for a reasonable price. The key is the desire to simply plug the function directly on the Arduino and run.

T. Boyd

These would be nice to have. You may create market when you offer these to the market. Just have in mind that you need to start small and stick closely to the community in terms of design revision and support. Good luck!