Parts Database - PartKeepr

I've been looking for something like this for sometime and I just happened to find this one. It's a web app for keeping track of all your electronic parts and is very well written. It's written in ExtJS 4 with php and mysql.

[Spam link removed]

Check it out!!

Rather steep entry considering that you need to be very adept at running a web server to use this. While I do run a web server, I have to wonder how many Arduino users have that luxury.

Compiling ImageMagicik into PHP is likely to be beyond most Arduino users as well.
Creating the MySQL database will most likely stump the average Arduino user as well.

I can write a simple Excel spreadsheet to do what PartKeeper does in less time than it took to read the install docs for PartKeeper.

This seems to be more of a Rube Goldberg method of tracking parts inventory than an actually useful, easily implemented solution.

If someone really wants a web-based database without all the hassles, I recommend the following:

[Spam link removed]

getSurreal:
I've been looking for something like this for sometime and I just happened to find this one.

"just happened to find", eh?

I did install it an use it... and while it "works" nicely, it's really designed for use as a stock room inventory tool in say a corporate or educational or hackerspace environment. It's "overkill" a few times over for a single hobbyist to manage their parts.

So... I'm still working on mine...

I find a sheet of paper (or two) works adequately for me.

I've got a big box, and a few of those plastic trays with dividers in them for the small stuff.

A spreadsheet works just fine for me. I keep it in the cloud so when I'm away from the house and I need to know if I have any of some nifty item I just saw at a swap meet, I can look it up.

fungus:
I've got a big box, and a few of those plastic trays with dividers in them for the small stuff.

Same here. My "spreadsheet" is spreading out the trays so I can see all of their contents at once. I'm guessing inventory management is for those who have too many parts to do it that way. :slight_smile:

Still, nice find OP. I'll toss it on a web server and see if we can make use of it at work!

I'm with PapaG. I use a Google Docs sheet with all the Digikey part numbers. It makes it handy if I'm putting together an order on my phone or laptop, or posting something and want to recommend a part I've used before. While having an online part count would be nice, I think it would be more effort than it's worth to track that kind of thing, when I can just go into my work room and check physical inventory if I need to know.

Still, thanks for sharing OP!

@fungus Yes, I did just happen to find it. I've been wanting to write something like this myself, but kept putting it off as it's a pretty big undertaking. I did find it difficult to find this system, I've been googling for open source inventory systems on and off for the past year without success so I was just hoping to share it with others who may be interested. I didn't mean to rile anyone up.

I personally don't have that huge of an inventory either, but what I was really looking for in a system is a place to keep my datasheets and notes for each part. I didn't find storing my datasheets just on the file system to be very convenient or efficient and I don't like looking up the datasheets on the internet every time. Other web systems I've looked at that can store files don't do it much different than your local filesystem. They usually have a single interface for uploading all your files then you still have to maintain a folder structure and then link the files to the part. With this system you upload files directly for each part.

I agree everyone may not be up to running their own web server, but it's not like it has to be hosted out on the internet. Running it local from a win7 box works just as well.