Benjamino - ATmega644 board - based on Sanguino

First things first, I have been experimenting with the Arduino for some time now, but I didn't post anything here. Anyway, for some reason I found making PCBs with EAGLE to be pretty addicting. So I made this. I liked the Sanguino for the unusual MCU, but there were a few factors I didn't like.

Benjamino by Jan Nejtek jr. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Based on work at www.sanguino.cc and www.arduino.cc

Improvements:

• Uses ATmega644 in SMD package
  • Has USB using FT232RL, just like in Arduino Duemilanove and Diecimila
  • Shield compatible
  • Pins marked similarly to Arduino Uno
  • Can automatically select between USB power and DC jack
  • Uses micro USB to avoid shorting out any shields.

Overall, it is a more Arduino-ish modification of Sanguino and uses the same software.

Image generated using Eagle3D.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Too bad I don't have a working prototype, but BatchPCB hasn't shipped it out yet. Also, if it's ever to be mass produced, I want the solder mask to be white with black silk screen.

This isn't the only thing I invented. More boards with more interesting MCU's are coming very soon.

Any ideas, suggestions? Tell me right here, right now.

Nice board NejTek, I love the 3d render. Are the component models available in STEP format or are they proprietary Eagle.

Rob

Eagle3D runs as EAGLE ULP script, which processes the board into a POV-Ray file which is then rendered. Each component is a POV-Ray macro; it usually takes some fine tuning to get it rendered properly, only a few boards get rendered properly on the first try. Here and here and here is some interesting info about it.

Thanks, I had a good read although it's not applicable to me as I don't use Eagle but I can import STEP models.

Have you considered how you're going to get your board manufactured should it come to that? Or are you happy to solder 50 of them yourself?

Rob

I would either use assembly services or get a stencil, some paste and go cooking them.