Wireless robot control

Hi

I just finished my first robot. It is very Classic - a platform, two motors and some sensors. My next step is to remote control it wirelessly. I just dont know how to do this. I was thinking about using my iPhone as a controller and later some kind of RC controller. What would you suggest?

Im using the Uno with the official motorshield.

If you just want to try "play with' wireless then think about IR.
All you need is an IR receiver, about $2, and a IR remote control.
I use my DVD or my TV remote.
Then later you can upgrade to something else.

I haven't built a robot so maybe I am not "QUALIFIED" to advise but IF I did I would use 433 Mhz RF and not IR.

The thing about 433Mhz (and similar ISM RF bands) is that there can be limits on the % of time you can use the frequency - will need a search. So good for occasional control (actually data exchange) but less so for continuous remote control.

IR is good provided you have line of sight to the receiver and using it indoors. (Arduino Libraries - IRLib & IRremote). range up to 15m.
(High power gives you effectively LoS indoors, because of reflections)

My suggestion would be to try using cheap Bluetooth serial adapters, which will give you more than reasonable range indoors and outside. (up to 10m?)

There are other RF modulaes like the nRF24L01 series which may be the next step up (not expensive either & libraries are available for Arduino). Much longer range available.

If you look at remote control of toy helicopters, the cheaper entry level ones use IR & the top end hobby & pro ones use RF.

My suggestion would be to try using cheap Bluetooth serial adapters, which will give you more than reasonable range indoors and outside. (up to 10m?)

Would not be compatible with an iPhone.

I was thinking about using my iPhone as a controller

This keeps cropping up over and over again. iPhones are locked and won't communicate with HC05 or HC06 modules.

Get yourself an Android based phone if you want to control using your phone

I've used both IR (with a TSOP34838) and Wixel (which is basically wireless USB).

Interesting article how you can manage the robot platform with two wheels with the Android smartphone via Bluetooth

Is there a code sample.

If your iphone is web enabled, you might consider making a simple router bot and control it via a web page. Some ideas on this below.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343