Arduino for industrial automation

I don't know all that much about industrial automatons but if a safety lockout is mediated by a processor it is wrong in the first place. If there is not a standard that says so there should be. I have spent a significant amount of time pulling parts out of a 300 ton press and even if it had skipped its timing, that electromechanical lockout on the door would have kept it from engaging. You'd better believe that all of my eyes were on that ram. Yes, I have the usual two eyes, but when you're watching something that close...

The big problem would be the potential for damaging machinery and ruining production runs. Even then, as much as possible the machinery is built to make it difficult to damage that way. Nothing that can cause severe problems in a plastic injection mold is totally under control of its CPU. There will be a fusible link or a limit switch or something. There should be no safety measure that can be overridden by software. When any machine is taken down for repairs it is locked out so that it is physically impossible to start it without unlocking it. This includes physically blocking an item like a shear so that it cannot move.