Types of motor controllers that can handle 3A+

Hello everyone im quite new to arduino and i need a few pointers to get me started.

I have had a go at using Arduino to control LED'S and a custom made 4wd rover to go forward backward (the basic stuff while i am waiting for sensors for it).

My real question here is are there any good motor controllers out there than can handle 3Amps+? Im building a new rover that uses 4 metal gear motors each with a stall current of 1.7A. its going to be a differential steering setup so i will be needing atleast 3.4amp to each pair of motors.

The 4wd rover i was taking about uses 2 30 amp ESC's that i have gotten to work well using the servo library. Should i just use the 30 amp controllers or should i use two of these in parallel:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2pcs-L298N-Dual-H-Bridge-DC-Stepper-Motor-Drive-Controller-Board-Module-Arduino-/310413203176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48461196e8&_uhb=1#ht_5346wt_1271

Here is my 4wd rover which will be soon used as a search and rescue robot once my sensors arrive. (ultrasonic and colour sensor)

and

Take a look at these two driver cards from Pololu.

Bob Weber

actually The one that you posted can handle 4amp its just that you need to connect both A and B together. meaning its logic and its output. this is cause the IC is made to drive 2 DC motor with current of 2A each.

The 2503 is dual 3 A w/o heat sink, 5 A peak. Adding a heat sink and /or fan would increase that capacity. This driver uses the MC33926 which has current limiting if you over heat it. Pololu test results delivered 5 A on both channels for 10 sec. before thermal protection started reducing the current. It delivered 4 A for 37 sec. before limiting. It did 3 A all day without limiting.

If you want lots of power, the 2502 can handle dual 25 A drive capability.

Here is a link to a table comparing all of their drivers Pololu - Comparing Products in 2 Categories

Bob Weber

rweber95:
The 2503 is dual 3 A w/o heat sink, 5 A peak. Adding a heat sink and /or fan would increase that capacity. This driver uses the MC33926 which has current limiting if you over heat it. Pololu test results delivered 5 A on both channels for 10 sec. before thermal protection started reducing the current. It delivered 4 A for 37 sec. before limiting. It did 3 A all day without limiting.

If you want lots of power, the 2502 can handle dual 25 A drive capability.

Here is a link to a table comparing all of their drivers Pololu - Comparing Products in 2 Categories

Bob Weber

should i just use the ESC'S that i am using on the 4wd rover instead? The pololu ones are pricey plus the postage will drain my budget

tawandapro:
should i just use the ESC'S that i am using on the 4wd rover instead? The pololu ones are pricey plus the postage will drain my budget

No idea - what kind of ESCs are they, brushless or brushed? I presume your gear motors will be brushed from the discussion
above but you haven't given details of the existing set-up.

MarkT:

tawandapro:

No idea - what kind of ESCs are they, brushless or brushed? I presume your gear motors will be brushed from the discussion
above but you haven't given details of the existing set-up.

They are brushed esc's and brushed 540 motors. The esc is this kind
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-320A-Speed-Brushed-Controller-ESC-1-8-1-8-1-10-RC-Car-Truck-Buggy-Boat-/110933808971?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item19d42b974b

I am using the servo library to control the esc's the signal wire is connected directly to the pwm pins in the arduino uno i have and i have controlled them arduino just backward forward motion.

Search ebay for H-bridge (with loweswt price first) and you willsee h-bridge controllers that go from 1a to 50a in capacity.

tawandapro:
They are brushed esc's and brushed 540 motors. The esc is this kind
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-320A-Speed-Brushed-Controller-ESC-1-8-1-8-1-10-RC-Car-Truck-Buggy-Boat-/110933808971?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item19d42b974b

I am using the servo library to control the esc's the signal wire is connected directly to the pwm pins in the arduino uno i have and i have controlled them arduino just backward forward motion.

They ought to work nicely with any brushed motors I think (no shortage of power!). The Servo library doesn't mandate the use of PWM
pins BTW - its interrupt-driven rather than using the hard-wired timer-counters, can control any pins.

If you get one from ebay, atleast double your needs, cause often what they say they can handle is only true if you put a fan on it and putit in an icebox.

I've not used it, but this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/240W-High-power-H-bridge-PWM-Motor-Driver-Sodule-smart-Car-Driver-For-Arduino-/170915420830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cb5a5a9e is economical and appears to be based on this chip http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/DATASHEET/CD00268302.pdf.

permnoob:
If you get one from ebay, atleast double your needs, cause often what they say they can handle is only true if you put a fan on it and putit in an icebox.

In what way is a 320A ESC not overkill already? Three hundred and twenty amps.... Even if that's an exageration by a factor of ten its
still going to drive a 3A motor!