What digital camera to buy?

Due to a broken LCD screen, I'm looking to buy a new digital camera, and I was thinking I should get something more hackable this time. The intervaluino is kind of an inspiration, along with other remote triggering projects. I've heard of a Canon-based project to completely replace the firmware with something much more hacker friendly.

I'm not going to be the main user though, so it really has to be one of really tiny pocket cameras or the main user won't take it with her.

The last 2 were Sony (not my choice), so we have 10 gig of memory sticks and 2 batteries which give a strong incentive to buy Sony again. The budget is around $300, but if the camera doesn't take Memory Stick, then 8 gig of memory has to come out of that budget.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Very hard to suggest you.

But I know a webpage that can help you, giving more information about cameras.

Not Sony Based, but there's a firmware hack that allows to run scripts (like the intervaluino & other stuffs) on Canon cameras.

Might be interesting to check

Not Sony Based, but there's a firmware hack that allows to run scripts

That's the program I'd heard about before. It does sound interesting.

Personally, I hate Sony, but the original camera was bought with no input from me. If it were my choice, the new camera would be a Nikon D80, but the person it's actually for doesn't want a big camera.

I guess at this point it's betwen a Canon SD-series or a lower end Sony just to use the memory we've got.

If you can compromise on something between a DSLR and point-and-shoot-compact, I can highly recommend Sony's H-series. I have a H9 (now superseded by H11) and it really is good. Great quality, and you just can't beat the 12x zoom that a larger body gives you. Has an "automatic" mode for point-and-shoot, turn the dial to adjust separately or together the apeture/ISO/shutter/EV. Uses memory stick pro-duo, not sure if that's the type of memory stick you have, or if you have the old memory sticks.

Only problem is there is no remote / external port (that I can find - let me know if anyone knows about it), so I don't think you can trigger the camera in any way besides pushing the button on the camera body.

If you can compromise on something between a DSLR and point-and-shoot-compact, I can highly recommend Sony's H-series. I have a H9 (now superseded by H11) and it really is good. Great quality, and you just can't beat the 12x zoom that a larger body gives you.

I was playing with one of those in the store, and I do love that zoom range. For me, I could probably compromise on that except that I'd just get the fullsize DSLR anyway (and just because of not having to carry 10 pounds of lenses with me, that H-series still looked tempting. The person its for wants something to carry everywhere in her purse though, so the H series is too big for her.

Has an "automatic" mode for point-and-shoot, turn the dial to adjust separately or together the apeture/ISO/shutter/EV. Uses memory stick pro-duo, not sure if that's the type of memory stick you have, or if you have the old memory sticks.

Yes, it is the pro-duo. The old camera was a W80, and before that a W60. It's been a very bad track record as far as how long these cameras last too.

Only problem is there is no remote / external port (that I can find - let me know if anyone knows about it), so I don't think you can trigger the camera in any way besides pushing the button on the camera body.

That's something I was wondering about too but forgot to ask. I'm pretty sure the W series doesn't have an external port either.

I also like 3D photography which I do right now with a pair of disposable film cameras, so I'm kind of tempted to buy 2 of the same subcompact digitals since $20 for 2 cameras+2 developing does add up fast.

The old camera was a W80, and before that a W60. It's been a very bad track record as far as how long these cameras last too.

Really... we've also got a W80 and that has been an excellent camera - no troubles over the year and a half or so that we have had it. "Beach" mode is funny though - everything comes out blue, even sand.

I just came around this.
http://www.fleurey.com/weblogs/franck/index.php?2007/03/11/127-telecommande-ir-pour-nikon-d70-fabrication
It's in french, but maybe it can help you. It's an IR remote for the Nikon D70.

Really... we've also got a W80 and that has been an excellent camera - no troubles over the year and a half or so that we have had it. "Beach" mode is funny though - everything comes out blue, even sand.

The camera was fine until it broke. It's about 10 months old. The screen is visibly cracked inside, but the camera was not dropped. It was taken in a carry-on on a plane and when we got off the flight, it was like that. Maybe the pressure change caused it, but there's no way it should. Also the outside plastic over the screen is completely fine, it's the screen itself inside that is cracked.

I forget what happened to W60, but there was also one before that where the lens assembly fell off the camera.

The reason I hate Sony is it's proprietery, they take that silly non-standard memory. Which seems to be working for them in this case because we're locked into another Sony or we have to rebuy the memory.

I just came around this.
http://www.fleurey.com/weblogs/franck/index.php?2007/03/11/127-telecommande-ir-pour-nikon-d70-fabrication
It's in french, but maybe it can help you. It's an IR remote for the Nikon D70.

These Sony tiny cameras don't have an IR receiver at all. For what it's worth, I'd much rather buy the Nikon D80 (D70 has been replaced) than the Sony.