Pervasive Displays [no power displays - e-paper]

I wonder what is so revolutionary about this display that they think they need to require an NDA, but only for another 30-60 days. It's odd. Just provide a data sheet, dudes.

Hi,
spass2000, where did you get that interface board? Is it just a breakout board for the FPC connector? or does it include the additional circuitry for the EPD?

Thanks!!
Asier.

Hi!

Since 3 weeks I'm testing arduino... WOW! What a great device!

Now I got the 2.7" epaper-Display from embeddedartists.
(http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/displays/lcd_27_epaper.php)
I've downloaded the library BUT

How to connect the pins?
In the datasheet I see 14 Pins:
GND , VCC, SPI-SCK, SPI-MOSI, SPI-MISO, SPI-SSEL, UART-RX/GPIO, UART-TX/GPIO, I2C-SCL, I2C-SDA, GPIO, GPIO, AINO/GPIO, AIN3/AOUT/GPIO

GND and VCC are clear.

Okay... And now?

I've checked Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. to get more information, but I'm not sure, if this is the right lib.

I'm looking for a pin-table to arduino uno and some example code (e.g. Hello World would be great).

Can somebody help me?

Hey,

Does anyone have the datasheets for directly driving the EPD's Display, controller? specification including commands, SPI timing specification and what not.

thanks,

febtober2000:
Does anyone have the datasheets for directly driving the EPD's Display, controller? specification including commands, SPI timing specification and what not.

None of this is available without signing an NDA. It sounds complicated but if you buy the module from Electronic Artists, the whole process takes only 1-2 days.

Kind regards,

MrPozor

Hi!

Sorry for my last post.
I've reread the whole thread and now understand that it WILL be integratet into uglib and I have to wait.

Thanks to spass2000. Since your post I now, that IT IS POSSIBLE and I have to be more patient G.

So I have enough time to read more about SPI and how to connect such a device.

Sebastian

I signed the NDA, for the datasheet but it was complete garbage. One of the most cryptic data sheets I have ever read. Sure it gives a bunch of flow charts. but hell it doesn't specify SPI rise and fall times or definitions for the the register indexes.

Under the current conditions it is impossible to add e-paper support to u8glib. Additionally i was told that controlling an e-paper device is very different to OLED or GLCD devices. If the documentation is available to the public, then i need time to get one of these devices, understand the concept and implement something to u8glib. Especially time is a rare resource for me at the moment. So, i would suggest not to wait for u8glib supporting e-paper, but instead look for some different display type.

Oliver (u8glib)

Well I finally got the display to work with PIC18F.

febtober2000:
Well I finally got the display to work with PIC18F.

Congratulations! Could you tell a bit more about your implementation? Did you use a driver IC (e.g, epson) or did you drive it directly from the PIC? Perhaps post the schematics?

I purchased one of them from http://www.watterott.com/en/27-Inch-E-Paper-Display

I would like to know how to program it. We are at the end of January and there is no source code available yet, so if I sign the NDA and then I develop some code that is only based in datasheet, can I distribute it since it is my own code?

Hi,

I am currently working on the 2.7 inch e-paper display from Embedded Artists, with Arduino and I really don't understand how it works...
I don't understand how the pins works because I can power the screen with many different configuration of the pins... How can it be possible?

And even if i've got everything.. datasheets, source code release without NDA and release After NDA, I can't figure out a way to make it work.
I've been trying to make it work for several weeks...

Could somebody give me some help??

Thank You PLEASE :slight_smile:

The NDA situation seems to have changed now.

Much more detailed information about how to drive the display is now available here:
http://repaper.org/doc/cog_driving.html

MrPozor

wow, the linked github repository also contains a library for Arduino.

https://github.com/repaper/gratis/tree/master/Arduino

Oliver

MrPozor:
The NDA situation seems to have changed now.

Much more detailed information about how to drive the display is now available here:
http://repaper.org/doc/cog_driving.html

MrPozor

Many thanks for the info. I am really interested in this and it is good news that in one month the first devices with breakout and cable will be shipped

Hi,

WOW! Looks good!

In his code he has a PIN-Mapping that I could not map to the 14-PIN-Connector on my Display from EA.

I don't want to destroy and try any combination.
Has somebody a mapping-example for me?

Oliver, is the code from github only available on Arduino Leonardo?

I think the code was just tested with the Arduino Leonardo. I have not seen any Leonardo specific code except for the usual "serial wait loop". I guess the code will work with any 5V Arduino Board, but i have not verified this. Just ordered my first e-paper display (EA Modul) today XD

Oliver

Oh ok, thanks.
I have an Arduino UNO and an E-Paper Display from EA (2.7 inch) and i'm trying to make it work with the Pins.
I don't know what FLASH_CS and EPD_CS correspond to.

From what i read so far: The EPD_CS is the chip select signal of the el. paber device. The flash-chip-select is the chip select of the flash memory, which seems to be part of the upcoming EPD extension board. The EA Module does not have a build in flash memory. At least from this perspective, the code from repaper.org needs some modification to make it work with the EA modul.

Oliver