0017 File Save Error

Found this on the Windows 0017 release . . .

1. Open an existing sketch
  2. Edit it but don't save yet
  3. Open a read only example - i.e.Blink
  4. Popup: "Save Changes to ?" - say YES
  5. Popup: "Sketch is Read-only" - hit OK, cancel out of save as
  6. Close IDE or move to another sketch
  7. Edits were not saved

Basically the IDE is confused about which sketch is which when it runs across a RO sketch.

Great rel though! I love the new lib system. I finally understand what a "core" lib is. Didn't make much sense when they were all in the same folder.

Displaying that the compile is complete before the upload finishes is great too. If you have a simple clone now you know exactly when to push Reset.

[edit]There may be other sequences that don't save when you think it did. Perhaps when 2 files are open. (Unless it's just me! :'()[/edit]

Discovered this has now been written up . . .
http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=88

Hi BroHogan!

It's nice that you want to

"Help us improve the Arduino software, . . ."

You must be wondering if you and macegr are the only one's with this problem. :o

It's gotten pretty simple to reproduce:

1. edit a sketch
  2. either close with the X or just open a new sketch
  3. you are prompted if you want to save your work - hit "Yes"
  4. you loose your work
    This happens on Windows (at least).

Well, just sit tight and keep pressing that save arrow! The doctor will be with you soon.

OK I admit this is pretty flip. But having a bug in an IDE that causes developers to loose their work is about as bad a bug as you can have (IMO). If I were a principal here, after verifying the bug, I would make a post to warn others. That's really my only goal here.

Hi,
I thought I also bump this thread a bit until we either have 1000 views or Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. is at least tagged Priority-Urgent

BTW:
I went back to 0016, but mind this Issue here :
Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. tagged Won't fix

Eberhard

There is now a request to "check if the latest version of Processing has the same problems" in the Google code writeup.

As I don't use Processing, and this lonely crusade has ended for me, perhaps someone else may want to look into that.

I do my best to fix things, but the more help I get, the faster it happens.

I do my best to fix things, but the more help I get, the faster it happens.

What do you need? I've provided instructions to duplicate the problem, but am not qualified to start messing around with the sourcecode. Is there anything else we can do to help out, other than do your QA testing? Please let me know if there is something I can help you do to resolve this problem.

Testing this on the latest version of Processing Download Processing / Processing.org would be a big help. If they've fixed the problem, then I'll just copy their fixes over. If not, I'd like to let them know so they can help figure out the fix.

(The IDE code comes from Processing, so they have a much better understanding of how the save process works.)

Same on processing 1.0.6
Eberhard