Is it possible to perform a loopback test with the max485?

Sathi:
My converter has a max485 in it, which is then hooked up to the max485 on my breadboard. So the output Rx/Tx pins from the max485 on the breadboard should be readable serial data right? I have it like this:

PC --> converter/max485 ---> max485/breadboard ---> output rx/tx connected to each other (pins 1 and 4).

So what can I do with the output from the max485 on the breadboard to test if it is working? I thoguht if I connected the output pins together it would loop back to the pc? I'm confused. Thanks for the help!

-Sathi

You would have to separate pins 1 and 4 and connect them to separate pins on the MCU. You would also have to separate pins 2 and 3 so that you could enable both the driver and the receiver simultaneously, which you could do on your breadboard by just attaching pin 2 to ground and pin 3 to Vcc. Then make sure you have a suitable termination resistor, 120R, across pins 6 and 7.

On the software side, since you haven't posted your code we can't tell, you may have to do something different.