simple way to transmit data with virtualwire (433mhz transmitters)

I'm trying to figure out how to do this but it's not clicking for some reason, maybe because of all the extra code or whatnot, but I am looking for a simple way to transmit data, namely numbers from variables, through virtualwire. I have no clue how to set it up though, especially on the receiving side.

The Teensy examples are easy to follow;
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_VirtualWire.html

JB_AU:
The Teensy examples are easy to follow;
VirtualWire Library, for very cheap wireless communication

thatis helpful, however, how do I decode what is being received into the actual letters/numbers and put them in a variable so I could just say Serial.print(message) and it would work?

Did you take a look at the examples ?
http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/

The received data is already in the variable buf & is being printed in HEX

I'm sure you can work it out since you now know why you are receiving numerals instead of characters.

Experiment!

XOIIO:
I'm trying to figure out how to do this but it's not clicking for some reason, maybe because of all the extra code or whatnot, but I am looking for a simple way to transmit data, namely numbers from variables, through virtualwire. I have no clue how to set it up though, especially on the receiving side.

Hi, why don't you try using Nordic nRF24L01+ radios, they are really cheap but powerful ... and lots of h/w support / drivers / libs :- 2 libs for arduino, a few for AVR & RPi, and I read there r drivers for the MSP430 Launchpad from TI too..

My initial idea was also to use these 433Mhz radio one way transmission commonly used in auto-gate / garage door... but find it too hard to use and wasted too much of my time... and it is only one TX to one RX only...

The transmit code is sending hello & a count for every line.

char msg[7] = {'h','e','l','l','o',' ','#'};

The msg is 7 bits long.

We are receiving, h e l l o +1 in hexadecimal from msg that is now in buf.

Serial.print(buf*, HEX);[/quote]*
We could just print what's in buf & quote out the counting of lines.
> Serial.print(buf)
Stanley the nrf modules are much harder to work with, i last counted 6 different libraries, they are harder to use unless you are just copying the hardware & software setups.