Arduino 1.0 IDE Compatibility with previous versions

westfw:
So you think that the library authors who aren't updating their "completely broken in 1.0" libraries would have gotten around to updating their code faster, if there had been a compatibility mode that meant they didn't have to ?

Sometimes a clean break is needed for anything at all to happen. :frowning:

But if 1.0 was handled differently, in many cases their libraries wouldn't have been "broken" in the first place
and would have continued to work in 1.0 so there would be no need for them to have to update their code
to make it work in 1.0
And who cares if the pre 1.0 libraries NEVER got updated?

The bottom line is most people, especially library users, want things to "just work".
They really don't care about the mundane little details under the hood.

The libraries didn't break on their own, the 1.0 IDE package broke them. I see that as a big difference.
The net result of how 1.0 was handled, was that the wants of the few out weighed the needs of the many.

A small group of people decided that they wanted things to now be done a certain way and at the same time decided that
even though in some cases the old way of doing things could still be supported, they will not allow anybody to do things
the old way anymore.

Sure it's the Arduino Teams prerogative to modify and change things anyway they want in their release, but
I still can not understand the logic of deciding to intentionally break things when it was possible to provide
transparent mechanisms that allowed many (but not all) of the existing pre 1.0 libraries to continue working.
Particularly right as the s/w goes into it's first official 1.0 release.

The point everyone seems to be saying is that it didn't have to be this way.

The most infuriating part is that this tiny little decision by the Arduino team to not support any of the pre 1.0 libraries
does not seem to really affect them very much, but it affects 100's if not 1000's of others as they have to deal with
the aftermath of that decision.

I just don't don't get it.

--- bill