LED matrix display - MD_Parola, MD_MAX72xx and MD_MAXPanel

Hi all!
Please I want to ask how to use parola to drive dot matrix with 2 or 3 colors (rgb). I will be interested in driving 2 or 3 color display with parola. Thanks

RGB matrices are not supported by the library unless you can get them to work with the MAX72XX ICs. To my knowledge, this is not possible.

Hello All,

When I try to compile the MDParola_HelloWorld example I receive some error messages:

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\examples\Parola_HelloWorld\Parola_HelloWorld.ino:11:0:

C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src/MD_Parola.h:777:3: warning: 'typedef' was ignored in this declaration

};

^

C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\examples\Parola_HelloWorld\Parola_HelloWorld.ino: In function 'void setup()':

C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\examples\Parola_HelloWorld\Parola_HelloWorld.ino:31:65: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]

P.displayText("Hello", PA_CENTER, 0, 0, PA_PRINT, PA_NO_EFFECT);

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_PZone.cpp:22:0:

C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src/MD_Parola.h:777:3: warning: 'typedef' was ignored in this declaration

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Blinds.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Close.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Diag.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Dissolve.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Fade.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Grow.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_HScroll.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Mesh.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Open.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Print.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Random.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Scan.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Slice.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_VScroll.cpp:23:0:

};

^

In file included from C:\Users\hugoq\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_Parola-2.6.6\src\MD_Parola_Wipe.cpp:23:0:

};

^

Sketch uses 18182 bytes (59%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 310 bytes (15%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1738 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

I'm using Arduino IED 1.8.5 with the latest library from github.

In the end I can compile and send the example for ardunio with 8x8 max72xx, but doesn't work as expected. The text is all messed.

Any idea?

Thanks!

These are warning messages, not errors, for what is valid syntax.

Have you edited the header file to tell the library what type of module you are using? Please read the documentation for the md_max72xx library.

Hello!

Thanks for your fast reply and support.

About the warnings, I understand it, and it can compile / send the code.

Regarding the module, in fact I didn't know about it, but I'm reading the documentation (I will read it all) and it makes all sense. Soon as I have it on my hands I will test / update. I do believe the issue can be here.

Once again, Thanks!

Best Regards,

marco_c:
Have you edited the header file to tell the library what type of module you are using? Please read the documentation for the md_max72xx library.

Problem solved! Thanks for your help.

Best Regards.

Other thing,

I'm not if you are aware, but there are some issues using this library and nodeMCU.
With "regular" arduino I didn't found any issue running the animations, but they don't work properly with nodeMCU. The text "crash" on the begging of the animation.

Do you have any idea about it? Please let me know if you need more details to help you debugging.

Best Regards,

Is the watchdog timer expiring?

The first animation is the Slide.

Without any code change, the animation SLICE runs for 2 secs and I just can see the letters "SL" on the display and then it resets the ESP and it start all again.

If I add the command ESP.wdtDisable(); to setup, I can see the full animation of slide, but soon as the SLICE animation ends, it resets the animations and it start all over again.

Finally, If I replace:

while(!displayAnimate());

with

while(!displayAnimate()) yield();

it works and it looks better now.

Yielding

This is one of the most critical differences between the ESP8266 and a more classical Arduino microcontroller. The ESP8266 runs a lot of utility functions in the background – keeping WiFi connected, managing the TCP/IP stack, and performing other duties. Blocking these functions from running can cause the ESP8266 to crash and reset itself. To avoid these mysterious resets, avoid long, blocking loops in your sketch.

The amazing creators of the ESP8266 Arduino libraries also implemented a yield() function, which calls on the background functions to allow them to do their things.

Thanks for your support.

I will keep you updated.

Is possible to use MD_Parola and MD_MAX72xx.h on same sketch?
I like the MD_Parola text animations, but I would like to include some graphics animations that are available on MD_MAX72xx examples.

How can I do it? Any tip please?

Thanks.

Look back a few pages on this forum around post #1155. It has been asked before.

Sorry, I was reading this topic, but I think i miss that page.

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards,

How can i add second on you parola zone time msg?

Make the zone bigger for the extra digits and add in the seconds to the display string.

Thanks for reply. i will try!

Hello guys, pls I have one problem with the way my scrolling display with parola is behaving. I used 15 modules of the 3mm 8*8 display and I followed the circuit diagram supplied by the max7219. When it first switched on, everything will work fine. After a while problems will start coming up. Examples of the problem is: one of the modules may off completely and never come up again until I restart the display. One or two columns of a module may be permanently on. Pls what can I do to solve these problems. Thanks.

Sounds like a power supply issue. Are you powering from the USB power or do you have a separate power supply? Make sure the grounds of the power supplies are all connected.

I'm powering from an external 3A power supply. All the grounds are well connected. Besides, the problems do no appear immediately. It can stay for like 20 to 30 minutes before the start appearing.

Are these purchased modules or your own setup?
Do you have the required capacitors in the MAX7219 circuits?
Maybe post a clear photo of your setup?

Also, from a software perspective, are you running the latest libraries for MD_Parola and MD_MAX72xx?

The modules are lc-1088as, purchased. I used 15 of them. I used the recommended capacitors from max7219 (10uF and 100nF). The library I used are MD_MAX72XX-master (don't know its version number) and MD_Parola-2.6.4 (I think its a stable library too). Please, Check the attached files for the circuit and its starange behaviour. I'm very sorry that those images are blur, it's due to my camera's behaviour with LED. Thanks.