arduino 009 autoupload to diecimila

Hi

Not sure whether to put this in hardware or software section. Plumped for here, move it if another place is more sensible.

Have been trying to upload to a diecimila without pressing the upload button and its not working. The diecimila is one of the prototypte ones that massimo gave out at the london h3.

If the arduino is sending serial when I try to upload I get

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x06
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x06

So I replaced the running code with the blinking led example patch and get

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

It works fine if I press the reset button on the board and upload

Hello Nick

The prototypes don't have the reset function enabled. You need to find a 0805 100nf smd capacitor and solder it in a specific spot.... se my blog later today for details as the modification applies to the older NG as well.

massimo

Ah - no problem - will sort it when I get back from holiday.

Will try and get my data logging stuff up on the playground then as well - I have got it working with a real time clock too.

You need to find a 0805 100nf smd capacitor and solder it in a specific spot.... se my blog later today for details as the modification applies to the older NG as well.

Any updates on this? I'd like to retrofit my NG, probably replace the mega8 with a 168 as well.

thanks,
j

After playing with a Decemilia, I would like to have the same auto upload feature on my NG. Is it possible to retrofit my NG board ?

I think the only way to retrofit the autoreset feature is to solder a tiny cable to the DTR pin (FT232RL chip) and through a 100nF capacitor, connect it to the reset pin. Once you manage to solder this autoreset capacitor, you need to reprogram the atmega168 for a diecimila bootloader programmed atmega168 or purchase one and replace the existing one for the new one.

See: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/NGAutoReset. You should, I think, be able to use the auto-reset with the NG bootloader, but you'll have a longer delay after uploading your sketch.

Hi Mellis,

Do you have a picture where you need to solder the capacitor for the prototype Diecimila boards? Not sure where I need to solder it, by looking at the NG boards :frowning: any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Benjamin:-)

I'm not sure, to be honest. If you post a picture, we might be able to figure it out.

here you go:

cheers

benjamin:-)

Cool. I think it's more or less the same as the NG / production Diecimila. See the four unconnected solder pads in a square (near the ATmega168 and the "n" of the "Limited Edition")? I believe (though I'm not certain) you want to solder the capacitor between the bottom two of them.