dimming neon (not fluorescent)

Hi

I want to do some fast dimming of a neon (real neon, not fluorescent) sculpture. I'd like to do various fast patterns and random switching.

The ballast I am getting is the 6th from the top called "9.000":
http://www.tecnolux.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=50

It has a 0-10v dim input. Can I just take a 10k digital pot and dim away? Are digital pots fast enough for "switching" as well?

Thanks

fubbi

It has a 0-10v dim input. Can I just take a 10k digital pot and dim away?

Probably... But, it would be helpful to know the input impedance (or current).

For example, if the input impedance (of the dimmer circuit) is 1K and you use a 10k pot, the voltage won't be linear (you'll get around 2V at the mid-point, instead of 5V). To some extent, you can compensate for non-linearity in the software if necessary.

And, if the impedeance is really low (very unlikely) you can get excess current through the pot, and damage it.

It wouldn't hurt to try with a regular analog pot. Worst case you fry the pot, but that's very unlikely.

Are digital pots fast enough for "switching" as well?

Probably... What frequency are we talking about? You can check the specs, but I assume they work at audio frtquencies (beyond 20khz).

Thanks for your reply

Update: The input of the ballast is not for a variable resistor but for PWM 1-10v

can I use a simple circuit like this:

(found in this thread: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288268120)

and will the 0-10v cause problems when the ballast expects 1-10v?

thank you

fubbi

Digital pots tend to be very fast, fast enough that your eyes wouldn't be able to respond as quickly as they can switch. It's unclear what the input requirements are for your selected dimmer; I could find the information easily from the site you listed. My guess is that the input to the dimmer is high impedance (as in a MOSFET gate), and that the NPN controller you showed a scematic for would be just fine if all you want to do is switch on and off. You could also use a MOSFET for the transistor and virtually elimate the load from the Arduino (presumably the source of your 0-5V pulse).

widgetmaker:
Digital pots tend to be very fast, fast enough that your eyes wouldn't be able to respond as quickly as they can switch. It's unclear what the input requirements are for your selected dimmer; I could find the information easily from the site you listed. My guess is that the input to the dimmer is high impedance (as in a MOSFET gate), and that the NPN controller you showed a scematic for would be just fine if all you want to do is switch on and off. You could also use a MOSFET for the transistor and virtually elimate the load from the Arduino (presumably the source of your 0-5V pulse).

Hi thanks for your reply, but it turns out I have to generate PWM not resistance, please read the update above.

thank you

fubbi