(solved) LPD1101: Library, datasheet or any information?

Hi,

I´ve an old adressable RGB Strip here with the LPD1101. It´s from http://www.ett-online.de/html/de/licht/led-leisten/rgb-stripes-lauflicht/led-leiste-mcshine-led-run-20-60-smd-rgb-leds-2m-ip67-lauflicht/article-5-74053-rgb+stripe-all-359035429035422590.html (No need to translate, there is no useful information or datasheet =( ) At the end of this post I added a photo, how it looks.

The strip comes with 4 wires (+, -, serial, clock) and seems to be able to do 8 colors - to switch r, g and b separately on or off. No build in PWM I guess. One LPD1101 controlls 3 LEDs, which do the same.

With the controller (http://images.ett-online.de/pdf/450-079.pdf) they sell for it, it works fine, so the strip itself is ok.

I tried to drive it with the Arduino using the library FastSPI_LED. I did tests with any chipset it supports right now at high and low datarate. No result, nothing.

Yes, i supplied the strip with 12V. Yes, after my experiments the strip is still working with the controller i mentioned above. I´m pretty sure, that I wired it correctly - external power supply for the strip, ground and the Arduino ground together, serial and clock to the Arduino. (My projects with WS2801 and LDP8806 work as intended.)

Can it be, that the 5V output from the Arduino needs to be amplified to 12V?

Does anyone know if there is a library for the LPD1101? Google and the forum search showed nothing useful.

Or at least a datasheet for that chip...

Or a tutorial, how to sniff the data and reverse engineer the protocol? (Nothing for a beginner, I guess...)

Any help is very appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Helmuth

http://www.dzsc.com/uploadfile/company/123460/2010118175536963.pdf

Part of the Google translation:

"First shifted into the 32-bit '0 'as the start frame, and then moved to the respective data frame, the start frame and data frames are high First bit shifted, each data bit is to break into the rising edge of DCLK; a data frame corresponding to the distance moved to end LED lights, its format includes a 1-bit start bit '1 '+ three groups of 5 bits of gray value; sequentially shifted After each point of the data, plus the additional pulse corresponding points, new data began to take effect. The DCLK fastest up to 25MHz."

Sounds like you send 32 0's followed by a data frames of a 1 and three sets of 5 bits for Red, Green, and Blue.

Hi johnwasser,

thanx for the datasheet. We followed that hint in the german part of the forum. (gelöst) Bytes und Bits mit richtigem Timing senden / LPD1101 - #6 by Helmuth - Deutsch - Arduino Forum

It looks like the protocol is very similar to the one of the LPD6803. I´ll try to drive the clock and data line with 12V now and use FastSPI again.

Now it works.

The 1101 is compatible to the 6803. The problem was not the voltage, but that "C" on the strip means data, not clock and "S" means clock, not serial...

Build in PWM, 3 x 5 Bit.

FastSPI works at any datarate.