Arduino GSM Module from ITead Studio

ecave:
Its LED blinks close to every three seconds, but Im sure its the "Not Registered" timing.

I couldn't get a hold of an ITead Studio representative to find out if its unlocked, but when I called Rogers Wireless they said that if the SIM900 module isn't manufactured for a specific carrier it shouldn't be lock. And I assume they would provide me with an unlock code if it was locked.

The antenna should be fine, it was the one supplied by ITead studio. I even tried connecting with an external SMB connector and a cable to bring the antenna further away from the module in case of any interference with the SIM900 module as Boris Landoni recommended in another forum.

I am using a 9V 1.5 A power adapter so it should be giving me about 13.5 Watts. It should be enough power.

I tried connecting to the module via MAX232N serial to Serial 232 connection. I have the MAX232N IC in this connection:

http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial-level-converter/

and I had a serial 232 to usb cable on the other end. I was able to receive message from the SIM900 module, but any AT commands I sent the other way seemed to have no effect.

I was wondering if I need a new SIM card with a new account to register the unique IMEI number but Rogers Wireless said that it should automatically register my module on their network.

I tried adding data to my plan in case that would work, but it did nothing. Tried multiple Arduino boards and now I now of another person with the same problem using the same Module. Theres a new GSM library version, I think Im going to try that next.

Either that or try ordering a seeed studio module instead.

Ecave

Unfortunately I'm the "other person" who is getting the EXACT same problem with this shield and an Arduino UNO.

I'm reluctant to try anything else as I'm convinced they are selling a dodgy product. I am going to contact them and demand a refund. Not happy at all.

I don't actually have a 9V DC power supply to actually try it with. Maybe I should give that a go. I'm just trying to power it with a USB cable plugged directly into my Mac.