Edge Timing Charts

I want to make one of those edge timing charts you see all over datasheets. Something like this:

Anybody know any software that would help me do this? I've looked for excel, and matlab tutorials but haven't seen anything that would work

Anybody have any ideas?

you could use a CAD program like autoCAD, but you would either have to buy (ridiculously expensive) or download (illegal). Or you could find a freeware CAD program that will do just the same.

but if you already have a program you could just punch out the distances to represent the proper timing...

Would something like GTKWave help? (My GTKWave notes.) Or this timing diagram font?

--Phil.

You shouldn't have problems with GIMP (open source photoshop-style graphics editing program). It's really powerful, but as photoshop, needs a little bit of learning.

follower: Thx! I'm trying the font right now. If its not powerful enough for what I need then I am going to use GTKWave. It seems to be exactly what I need. I have access to AutoCad and Photoshop but I wanted to avoid using them.

If none of the above work I would suggest vector editing software (e.g. Inkscape) could also be more helpful than raster editing software. You could set up guides to help with the timing positions or even generate the chart programmatically with within Inkscape.

--Phil.

Is there any easy way to get GTKWave running on windows? Is there a full installatino package that will install GTK, the dlls and create the path? I would do it manually but I don't have admin priviliges on this computer.

Or am I going to have to wait to go home and boot up my Ubuntu installation? This seems like exactly wht I need.

GTKWave windows - Google Search? :slight_smile:

--Phil.

For my senior design project, I used some text editor macros and creative use of "/", "", "|", "_" ...

____     ______
     \___/

________
         \______

(man, that's a pain to draw in a window with a proportional font!)

It was ok for my simple project, but it sounds like that would be insufficient for what you had in mind...

follower: yeah I did that already. If you clicked on sopme of the links you would see there is no pre compiled installed binaries. I would ahve to download GTk, dlls, add the path, etc. Oh well, I got it to work on my home ubuntu installation anyway.

westfw: yeah thats what i was doing earlier. However, I am making a formal report and wanted something that looks more appealing.

The Timing font suggested by follower is really good I use it at work. But it is only designed for logical timing diagrams.

For analog timing diagrams, you can use vector drawing software like Inkscape or the drawing tools included in OpenOffice or Word.

I bet Gnuplot would work. The x-axis would be your timing, and you would define several y-axes in their own 0-1 range. I'm not that well-versed with Gnuplot, but I gather this can be done.