Pins on Rf Rx and TX units

So I'm following a tutorial online which uses RF transmission of data.

Here are mine attached.

The Rx unit
I have 4 pins and 2 are labelled data. Does it matter which one I pick?

The Tx unit
Mine has Gnd, Vcc and then data.

Well I just noticed their fritzig diagram is different from their actual connections:

http://m.instructables.com/id/SOLAR-POWERED-ARDUINO-WEATHER-STATION/?ALLSTEPS

I'll just follow my labels on my circuit boards. It's just that last night I tried it and found out the transmit code hangs right before initializing the Tx unit.

You didn't attach anything.

The two data pins on those cheapo RX units are connected - you can see the trace if you look carefully at the board, so it doesn't matter which you pick.

Various TX units have different pinouts (some RX units do too). Be sure to use the pinout marked on the board.

Also, those TX/RX units (particularly the RX ones) are garbage, if they're the ones I'm thinking of (receiver with no crystal on it, transmitter with that round silvery thing in the middle). The SYN470/480-based receivers (about $1-2 each on ebay - I use the narrow yellow ones) are superhet (note how they've got a crystal!), and get much better range; the SYN115-based transmitters are likewise better than the cheapo ones. The SYN115/4x0 transmitters and receivers are much better, and not that much more expensive than the bottom of the barrel ones you're (I think) using.

DrAzzy:
You didn't attach anything.

I think he is expecting us to dig through the article! :roll_eyes:

No...not at all because what I attached was my own picture if you read the post carefully! :slight_smile:

Posting sometimes removes my pictures for some reason.

Then those are the kind I had in mind in my post.

It's just amazing what a large scale that one transmitter board gets made on... with the same backwards "DATA" (and it's backwards, not mirrored, which is an easier mistake to make - look at the D)

Oh yeah, I had noticed the word was mirrored but hadn't noticed the "D" really isn't!

Well I moved on to another post because it seems to be something with the setup of the vwire.

It's over here in case you can spare a few minutes:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=350312.new#new

Thanks