Disco LED Dancefloor + more

Hey, thanks for the reply.

So, a quick schematic on what I've currently thought of over the last two nights. It's more of a sectioned dancefloor rather than using the whole circular base. Admittedly, it's a rough as guts of a schematic.

As for the LED strips, I think it's a pretty decent idea. I had been originally looking at a 8x8 RGB matrix with a controller but it is smaller than originally intended although it seemed pretty easily programmable and looked like it would fit in a small space like what I have to work with (although Im not sure on that part). https://www.sparkfun.com/products/759
If I was to use strips, how would program them into a suitable 'disco' light pattern? Or even have several patterns that cycle? The obvious constraint is that it all has to fit into a 120mm base and not end up being massively tall.

Pretty spot on with the idea about a translucent cover and some lightproof barriers though. I was thinking more of a black lattice of 18 black plastic strips though.

I do also agree with some extra light on the model itself, prob some white LEDs to shine off the discoball as it spins. =]