Duemilanove USB connector (suggestion)

Seems every shield in existence is designed with one PTH part or another directly above the USB connector, making for shorts left and right. I don't know about anyone else but to me 'Tape on the shroud' seems like a hokey workaround to a (in my opinion) major design flaw.

Has anyone considered using a mini-b connector instead of the full one? I for one would love to see a Mini-b board.

Has anyone considered using a mini-b connector instead of the full one?

You mean like Seeeduino boards:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-v328-fully-assembledatmega-328-p-439.html?cPath=27&zenid=9f6118c193cee9f8b7337d4df91a2eca

They also provide extra solder pads so all the shield connectors can be on a .1" X .1" grid to facilitate using standard perf board shields.

Lefty

Also the NKC and Solarbotics Freeduino clones also use mini-B connectors.

Seems every shield in existence is designed with one PTH part or another directly above the USB connector, making for shorts left and right. I don't know about anyone else but to me 'Tape on the shroud' seems like a hokey workaround to a (in my opinion) major design flaw.

Well I think all the shields I have account for that and position components around it. Yeah it can be a problem. Thick tape does work fine though.

Mowcius