Controlling a MMA8452QT accelerometer.

Hey, guys. I just ordered this accelerometer MMA8452QT http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=84R7353 but I have no idea how to hook it up with the I2C. It seems that It is not even possible to control it from an Arduino at all.

By reading it's data sheet made feel even worse. Can anyone help me out in controlling this guy? I would be very very thankful to the person that would provide some guidance with this guy. It would be so so so cool if I could've controlled a 1$ sensor instead of buying a 30$ kit from spark fun.

If you now were to acquire any cheap sensors (1$-3$) that output analog instead of I2C please let me know. (Preferably from newark.com)

**UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE **

Hey guys, this seems like a analog one right?

Starting point for I2C: Wire - Arduino Reference

You can also look at other I2C drivers for other chips and see how it all works.

Hardware wise this is a 3V3 chip, so you provide 4k7 pull-up resistors from 3V3 to both SCL and SDA - and power the chip from 3V3.

So you have bought a QFN package chip - any idea how you are going to solder that? (Or is it on a breakout board?)

but I have no idea how to hook it up with the I2C.

Why buy it then?

It seems that It is not even possible to control it from an Arduino at all.

It is entirely possible and done everyday.

Can anyone help me out in controlling this guy?

Using i2c.

If you now were to acquire any cheap sensors (1$-3$) that output analog instead of I2C please let me know. (Preferably from newark.com)

Not sure about newark but on digital, you do select output type to be digital and it will generate many chips for you. I use mma7361 from Freescale.

any idea how you are going to solder that?

Dead bug.

qfn is fairly easy to work with.

dhenry:
Why buy it then?

And why not?

MarkT:
Starting point for I2C: Wire - Arduino Reference

So you have bought a QFN package chip - any idea how you are going to solder that? (Or is it on a breakout board?)

Don't worry, I have hands plus a solder station :wink:

Thanks for the advise thought, really appreciate it man!

OK, I'll rephrase my question: how are you going to solder that and have it exactly level and aligned on the circuit board so that the X, Y, Z axes are aligned to the board?

[edit: and if you can, show us how you do it!]

MarkT:
OK, I'll rephrase my question: how are you going to solder that and have it exactly level and aligned on the circuit board so that the X, Y, Z axes are aligned to the board?

[edit: and if you can, show us how you do it!]

For now, i'm not worrying how exactly It would be aligned to the circuit board. I just want to solder it with whatever I could and connect it to my Arduino Uno. If necessary I would just solder it to some wires and not worry about sticking it on a board at all. If i'm going to build a project later on, then i'll consider your question once again. :slight_smile:

how are you going to solder that and have it exactly level and aligned on the circuit board so that the X, Y, Z axes are aligned to the board?

With a glue gun: drop some hot glue on the board and then push the chip's topside onto it. And solder from the bottom side (now exposed).

Also, you don't need it to be "exactly" level. Just reasonably level would do.

dhenry:
With a glue gun: drop some hot glue on the board and then push the chip's topside onto it. And solder from the bottom side (now exposed).

O! really? Can a glue gun glue actually conduct electricity and work as a "soldering" material?