So...what did Santa get you?

Did anybody get anything Arduino-related? Any new toys to hack with/on/in? Anything else amazing or exciting?

For me, its a "meh" - though my xmas bonus from my boss this morning was pretty nice (so that'll probably be going into future projects!). Also, as you may have noticed on other threads, I tend to buy myself presents all year from Ebay, Apache Reclamation, Goodwill, and Craigslist...

What about you...?

:slight_smile:

well a crapton of new clothes, which honestly I needed, nice fattening crap to eat, and money, which some of that went to a nice AIO wifi cannon printer we need (and the old chunk of steamy crap HP we have now may become parts, but I think it uses pigment ink so it may become a direct to pcb printer)

no electronics toys, which is fine with me, I got a room full of stuff that needs to be "processed"

oh! and dad got me a 9 snotty beer's sampler pack, combined with the 2 I got from a coworker, I should have a decent beer snob new years

no electronics toys, which is fine with me, I got a room full of stuff that needs to be "processed"

I know -exactly- what you mean! ;D

oh! and dad got me a 9 snotty beer's sampler pack, combined with the 2 I got from a coworker, I should have a decent beer snob new years

Nice - nothing like beer for the New Year!

Oh - something else happened here in sand land; on December 6th, our "legal fireworks" law went into effect, so last night when my wife and I visited with her sister and brother-in-law - we got them a present of a package of "fireworks" - and we set off a mess of them (my fool brother-in-law nearly set himself on fire in the process on one of the fountains).

I hadn't seen consumer fireworks in a long time (had them as a kid in California, but the community/city/county/someone made them "off limits", likely due to drought conditions - sometime in the 1980s; but I remember getting fireworks every year with my dad until then); it was pretty fun watching my wife's eyes light up, seeing them for the first time (she's an AZ native, and Arizona never had legal fireworks, at least since she was born).

I'm just waiting for the rash of accidental injury reports due to fireworks to happen, with people decrying to ban them because others are idiots...

;D

A giant Visa bill. :wink:

By complete surprise, a binary watch. It's my first binary clock and I get to wear it. Totally loving it!

Nothing >:(

I'm just waiting for the rash of accidental injury reports due to fireworks

That's not what I'm worried about: the morons in the statehouse appear to have cribbed from the "safe 'n sane" laws in other states, and legalized the stuff most likely to start a fire.

Now the same idiot neighbors who've been occasionally letting their young kids shoot off bottle rockets will have access to large quantities of cheap sparklers and fire fountains.

I can see us having multiple Aspen-scale fires next year.

I can see us having multiple Aspen-scale fires next year.

What, wait...sand burns? :wink:

Just kidding, I've been through northern Az on I-40. You guys finish that fence yet? ;D

Lefty

I, in a huge surprise, got an Arduino Uno, unfortunately I don't have... anything, to use with it, no leds or anything.. with me

Anyone know any good projects (besides the basic projects) I can tinker with until I get some stuff?

Anyone know any good projects (besides the basic projects) I can tinker with until I get some stuff?

but you could nt do anyhting without basic components just have a look at the aarduino's example's go get tha ahng of the coding before you set up on anything :slight_smile:

@Valalvax, Look at bitlash. It is still fun to play with if nothing but the led on pin 13 is connected.

http://bitlash.net/wiki/start

Digital camera
New mailbox (that can take small packages too, yay for small ebay packages)
Cat toy (box with holes in and small balls in)
Money (so I can get my own shoes instead of getting some in a wrong size)
Thing to put newspapers in (going to put all my Wii stuff in it instead)
Candy

What sort of background do you have in C or C++ programming? If it's "not much", you can learn a lot of the basics of the language by doing some of the standard "Hello, World"-ish examples using serial I/O to/from the PC, instead of using stdin and stdout.

Even if you've got some C experience, that would make a good start, since a lot of people get tripped up by the quirks of Arduino's serial I/O (like needing to check whether there's data in the input buffer using Serial.available()).

If you're already an "advanced" programmer, I'd suggest building a re-usable routine (perhaps state machine-based) that can be called out of loop() to accumulate a line of serial input into a buffer while the Arduino is doing other work. Not only would that be useful to you, but it could be made into an example that would be very helpful to others.

An iPad from which I am writing this post :slight_smile:
I'm not really a Mac fan, but I've got to say I might nerd to recosider...

Happy holidays!

Nowt, but I ordered myself MC Mike's new book and a batsocks tellymate shield.

Beats By Dr. Dre Solo HD Product Red headphones... And other stuff... Like:
A Kinect
2 packs of BuckyBalls (black and silver)
A Fushigi
2 Camera
Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmares Expansion Pack for Xbox 360
$35 GameStop Gift Card... My brother is going to help me get a controller with it (Controller is $65)
2 1600 Microsoft Points Cards

Kaoss Pad 3 (awesomeness)
Wooden alto recorder (finally)
Awesome little RC helicopter that shoots plastic darts! (Super awesomeness)
256 mb RAM for my mpc (not official upgrade, but it works perfectly)
Hakko 936 soldering station (so much better than my cheapo soldering iron)

256mb? Seems kinda little...

256mb? Seems kinda little...

I think it's for a music thing rather than a PC.

Oh, OK. I listen to music, not make it... So I don't know TOO MUCH about it... Like I know mixers, EQs, that type of thing... Never touched a synth in my life.