Hi there looking for a bit of help

Hi all

I am currently doing a fairly simple (I hope) Arduino project for University. I'm entirely new to Arduino and frankly struggling a little bit. What I want to do is essentially make a servo motor move when a motion sensor is activated. The servo will be used to pull the trigger of a nerf gun so it will fire automatically when motion is detected. I already have the servo rigged to the gun trigger and I can get the servo to work on it's own however I have hit a wall with using the motion sensor.

Here is a list of what I have access to in order to do this:

Arduino Uno Board (which came with wires, LED's and a USB A to B Cable)
Breadboard
Servo Motor
P/N 1111 Motion Sensor (form phidget - Motion Sensor - 1111_0 at Phidgets )

any help would be appreciated as I am next to useless with this at the moment. I've been going through tutorials but I need to submit a working code by Monday, will be working on it over the weekend but mostly i'm just curious if this is even possible with the components I have to hand.

Thanks

You look to have all the right bits, but you need to post your code.

Not sure if we can get you going by Monday, but more info would help.

• Do you have Arduino running on your computer?
  • Can you run example programs?
  • Do you understand how to connect and control servos?
  • Do you understand how to connect and read the sensor?

If I understand the sensor, it puts out 2.5V when there is no movement and the voltage is higher or lower when there is movement. That will be easy to read. I think the Uno can supply enough 5V current to control the servo, but if it is a high power servo or needs a lot of torque to push the trigger it might cause the board to reset.

I don't see any major problems, except the short time frame. Let us know where you are having problems and we'll help.

I think the Uno can supply enough 5V current to control the servo

Not really. I wouldn't recommend it.