who would you bring to the future?

If you could bring 3 people to the present day which 3 would you decide on?

for me... Robert noyce (my idol).. einstien... And tesla, who'd you pick?

Mark Twain, Thomas Jefferson, and Elvis Presley.

Which is it - to the future, or to the present?

Adam/Eve, to let them meet their offspring :wink:

More serious, Leonardo da Vinci and Archimedes as I wondered what they would do with current technology

CrossRoads:

?

cjdelphi:

CrossRoads:

?

Well the title is a little confusing. "Who would you bring to the future"
I suspect most read that to mean "who from the past would you bring to the present". But then again maybe I'm wrong, it wouldn't be my first time. But it's like programming, the compiler can only work on what you write not what you mean, so Bob's question is valid. The problem is the expression 'the future'. There is no explicit future, the future is relative and needs to be referenced to some specific time.

Lefty

If someone died in 1889... Anything after 1889 is the future for them... since the machine can only bring people back from the past the future for them is now.

Future and present is the same thing for anyone you bring forward in time, this machine would pluck them from the past and thats all it could do

Alan Turing. Because he died before his time was up.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Same deal. Well, with modern medicine, before his time was up. Not so much the case in 1791.

#3 is harder to think of. Too many candidates. Perhaps Taliesin, the Merlin of Britain. But could anyone actually speak with him?

retrolefty:
I suspect most read that to mean "who from the past would you bring to the present".

Nope. 1st blush, as a question addressed to those of us in the present, it would have to refer to our future. And bring in context implies with you. And to what future?

justjed:
as a question addressed to those of us in the present, it would have to refer to our future. And bring in context implies with you. And to what future?

Easy on the herb, dude. :wink:

I agree that Tesla would be a good choice; with modern technology and more foundation his work could be impressive.

Sorry i know what you mean, my mind kept flipping between "our" perspective and "theirs" so yeah kinda confusing in that respect....

Turing is a good choice, he'd have been accepted in this day and age for who he is and would become a legend over night, or he might just have another mental break down over something else instead, but yes, excellent choice :slight_smile:

Mozart lol, show him all the synthesizers we have now and all the different kinds of sounds he could work with to compose with.. but would his music sound too oudated to be popular? - I like the idea of Tesla because even in today's world he'll fully recognize his achievements, oh look there's a high voltage transformer, 3 phaze motor, mine, he might get a tad big headed with the old technology still around of his :slight_smile: what's your TV if you had no power line to power it because if it was not for me chances are you'd still be on DC power and paying 100x more for your electric, his tesla coil and induction methods still used today, what's he going to say to the scientists now who are working on powering devices such as phones without wires.... he'll laugh at them.. you call that old technlogy of mine? how many years?... he was a critical of people back then, this would just confirm everything he ever believed in lol..

Jesus