Total newbie

Hi!

I really do not know how to begin but I will try.

I have a vision of a project which uses some amazing Ardunio product as a stand-alone collector of analogue samples.

This unit (SAU) is supposed to be able to be connected to a PC for the sole purpose of transferring aquired data.

Nothing more.

The data will be processed in the PC. Not in the unit.

I have gotten the great tip from a Swedish forum that you are actually capable of expanding the Leonardo/UNO(?) into logging data to a SD memory card. Just by attaching something called a shield. By doing this I have also found out that you get a RTC-function (which is somewhat crucial for my application).

So I have a kind of grip on how to proceed HW-wise (my forum explained that there are displays and even chassis available, amazing!)

Right now I am wondering if it is possible to use the UNO (instead of the Leonardo) for the whole package including display.

This is my first question because the UNO is more easily obtainable for me (and I like DIL for debugging purposes).

The main question is however how to program the unit to do as I want (which maily means continous logging and reacting to three, we can call them analogue, inputs i.e Calibrate, Hold Time and New User).

This part seems extremely difficult to me because I actually don't know anything whatsoever about modern programming.

A friend of mine did however show me some code (UNO) and for a while there I actually thought it looked kind of easy :slight_smile:

How should I proceed?

Best regards, Roger

The Uno has 6 analog inputs (ADC) and can "talk" via USB to a PC / Mac / whatever using serial communications. You can attach shields as you said to have an SD card and RTC.

Example here: Adafruit Assembled Data Logging shield for Arduino : ID 1141 : $13.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

SD card support, and RTC, just plug it in. Then add your sensors.

How should I proceed?

It's fun, but I think you will have to learn some programming. There are various books and online tutorials that should smooth your path in that direction.

Thank you for your fast reply!

Please explain about the books and totorials.

Is it C I should learn or what?

I want to learn more about this fun stuff!

Best regards, Roger
PS
Please, give me a link to read.

Technically the IDE uses C++.

I suggest you Google for "Arduino tutorial" and see where that leads you. There are examples supplied with the IDE as well.

Thank you for this fantastic tip!

I have only one question left.

How does it compile?

I have seen some code and it makes sense. But how do I get from writing the code to compiling and downloading it to the Arduino?

I know I am kind of lazy in asking this but it puzzeles me.

It seems to be the only obsticle for me knowing how to proceed.

But I guess this reveals itself when I have actually bought and started to use the fantastic Arduino UNO.

Best regards, Roger

But how do I get from writing the code to compiling and downloading it to the Arduino?

You click on the icon second to the left on the top of the arduino IDE window.

Hi,
expanding on Grumpy_Mike's answer, the Arduino software running on the PC (Windows, Mac, Linux), called the IDE (Integrated Development Environment), is the place where all the programming and compilation occurs. You compile and then transfer the program to the Arduino clicking on icons in the IDE window.

Thank you for your kind answers.

Now I feel that I am ready to proceed.

It is very exciting!

Best regards, Roger
PS
Where/how do I download the IDE (another stupid question, I know...)

Go to the home page, read for a bit about where the word "downloaded" appears.

Thank you Nick!

Now I am really ready for my endeavour!

Best regards, Roger