Go Down

Topic: Hole Alignment Standard for Breakout Boards (Read 2985 times) previous topic - next topic

bobcousins

I think a simple solution would be to glue regular standoffs to lego bricks, then you can plug the brick onto a lego baseboard, and then attach any type of board to the standoff.

I've designed some Gadgeteer modules, and for small modules most of the area is taken by mounting holes and connectors, which is quite restrictive. I can't see manufacturers of small breakout boards adding holes according to any sort of spec, whether the pitch is 5mm, 8mm, 10mm, 25mm... they are primarily driven by cost.

Therefore a workaround would be to create PCB mounting clips that a PCB can slot into, and then the clip plugs into a baseboard (lego, pegboard, whatever).

Funny, in the old days we used a piece of wood board, and nails or screws into the board (hence the origin of "breadboard"). This could be made in 5 minutes with common materials. Nowadays, people seem to expect everything to be made to a standard, and ready made for them... at no extra cost of course.
Please ask questions in the forum so everyone can benefit. PM me for paid work.

SimLego

Lego needs 4.8mm holes, and probably more than one in a group, if you want anything remotely sturdy :-(
I didn't think for a nanosecond of having 4.8mm holes. :)

bobcousins

I didn't think for a nanosecond of having 4.8mm holes. :)
Ok, so we can eliminate one number, that still leaves a lot of other possibilities :) I think it would help if you could create a sketch to illustrate some ideas.

I found some adhesive clips, which could be used to mount arbitrary sized boards onto a base. e.g. self-adhesive spacer for PCB

bobcousins

hammy

Jun 25, 2017, 09:26 pm Last Edit: Jun 25, 2017, 09:37 pm by hammy
One of the problems is cost - LCD boards for example are sold to a range of customers , who might have an Arduino, Pi, or a custom design . An Arduino specific one would therefore cost more .
Another problem would be pin allocation , where you might at present use an analog pin as a digital because you've run out - this freedom would be lost and you'd find you could not use an LCD with a motor board or whatever . There is some standardisation in that shields do fit on top of one another . You could I guess make a board with a soldered in LCD , that fits as a shield ( a few are available) - there would still be allocation problems however.

Have a look at the industrino and similar packaged products , and lilly pad stackables. There are also ( non franchised ??) companies that will embed Arduino onto boards with other devices . Personally I've made a few PCB boards that have say a plug in NANO , some I/o drivers , MAX 232 and so on - this actually costs very little and tidies up your finished project

Go Up