Burnt Arduino Uno Avrdude verification error

i have an issue where i made a very noobie decision of apply way to much volts to the arduino uno (over 20volts...) and now have an arduino uno that wont even load any codes on it. The green led and the blinking led still work and the reset button still blinks the one led, however i received this error and i think i have burnt something on the arduino uno. I dont feel anything hot on the board when i power it on, so im confused on wether a component on the arduino uno is burned or the micro-controller is burned.

short-form:
-bootloader works: pin 13 flashes LED whenever I reset.
-Arduino is powered on without hitches: green light
-arduino sketchs dont load..

The error im getting is this when i try to upload the source code:
Binary sketch size: 2,680 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0x0c != 0x00
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Is there anyway to fix this?? can i bootload a new atmel micro-controller to solve issue? I have another arduino i borrowed from a friend and i was wondering if its safe to attach the micro-controller on his arduino uno to mine since there both identical (same model,etc..) to see if its a burnt micro-controller or not, or is the problem more deep then that, as i would end up burning his Atmega as well :frowning:
any help would be appreciated as im new to this

You can safely switch the ATmegas to see if it's the chip that you are having problems with (which it probably is).
You could try burning a new bootloader to the one you're having problems with to see if that fixes anything.

If the ATmega is broken you can just get a new empty one and bootload it yourself or you could go for one that already has the Arduino bootloader on it.
You don't mention what board you have but it seems 328 based so you should probably get an ATmega328P.