ATmega328P // 32k 28-pin dip

it would be good to contribute the modifications to david mellis so that it can be incorporated in the main tree

massimo

I see mouser has got them but their on order Mfr. Part #ATMEGA328P-PU would be really great if someone can point me to a place that has them in stock...

Mouser actually doesn't have 104 pcs on order, I called sales the other day to try to order them! There answer was sometime in late August (close enough to what the on-order dialogue says though).
As discussed, Atmel was targeting Q3 to begin full production, assuming they're on track for this target (and they meant the beginning of Q3), it will be a while before we see production batches making their way into distributor's inventories and even longer until we see these orderable in hundreds-of-units let alone small quantities.
This said, several distributors have parts and pricing loaded into their databases (Digikey, Mouser, Arrow, Avnet) but none show actual stock available. You can periodically use the Atmel distributor search to look for stock in all official Atmel distributors or findchips.

yup just talked to mouser too, and the 104 have been sold to another client and to order the min quantity is like 350 chips and estimated lead time about 12 weeks.

Good to see some people have already been working on the Arduino IDE, perhaps both Ladaya and you can contribute your findings to the Arduino team so they can add this in the next build of Arduino.

Do any of you guys have a spare ATMega328 chip that i can buy off you :slight_smile: we wish to trial this and waiting for 12 weeks is really hard ?

OK, rocking and rolling. After modifying the bootloader, I can now actually upload code to '328s and squash a few bugs in my IDE modification.
I've posted some tentative documentation at http://spiffie.org/know/arduino_328/.

All of this is believed to work, but I'd like to hear from someone who actually has a >14K sketch (feel free to PM me).

Obviously unless you actually have an ATmega328P in your hot little hands, there's no point in downloading the modified IDE yet, as there are bound to be bug fixes. Linux and OS X versions will come along at some point. Assuming you can install a recent avr-gcc, the 'modifications' section contains details on most other changes required.

This is somewhat offtopic, but while you're modifying the bootloader please check if you can use it to upload to the eeprom section.

There's currently a bug in the bootloader that breaks uploading to the eeprom section of the 168, it would be a shame if this bug carried over to the 328.

For info, see this topic:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202157667/15

These are finally in stock after several months on back order.
They're available bare for $5.25 Or pre-programmed for $6.25

Currently you'll need to use the hacked Arduino 11, but I'm making very strong progress with Arduino 12 and expect to have a version out shortly.

I've posted a new rev of the '328p bootloader...it integrates the no-wait & no-hang features from the 'adaboot' bootloader as well as fixing the EEPROM bug (thanks ahoeben for bringing it to my attention) AND the annoying 'missing signature bytes' that crops up when using avrdude

http://www.ladyada.net/library/arduino/bootloader.html

hopefully this will be folded into the official distro, meanwhile you can program it yourself or buy preprogrammed chips

Any back-ports of the fixes for the 168 in the making ?

it should work just fine for '168s as well (altho i havent tried it yet)

Got my chips preprogrammed from ladyada in the post this morning.

Is there any progress on the linux ide?
Ive downloaded the modified version 11 for windows and can run it in windows under virtualbox but would really like to use version 12 under linux if at all possible.
I suppose version 12 on windows at a pinch if its ready yet.
Whats involved in getting the linux version12 working?

If you want someone to try getting there sketches running under your modified version12 windows or linux I would be willing to give it a try.

Gordon

Actually, I've already incorporated ladyada's changes into the bootloader, so the new one will be in the next release, and is at: Arduino Starter Kit kaufen [verschiedene Ausführungen]

heres how to use it under linux (thx to solidsilver!)

http://ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7605

Excelent, Ill give this a try later as I had problems using the modified version 11 for windows as I needed the liquid crystal libraries. Didnt have time to work out what was wrong after I added the libraries but lots of error messages while compiling my sketch.
So Ill hold off looking further into that and try the linux patch for version 12.

Thanks

Gordon

Ive had a lot of problems getting this working under linux with xubuntu with version 12.
Ive posted on lady ada's forum about it so as not to cross post.

Gordon

So does this mean the 168 chips can be replaced with the 328 and work with the v12 ?

Sorry bit of a cross post but I think its worth posting here as well.

Success!

Installed Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex as a virtual machine under virtualbox and it has avr-gcc ver 4.3.0 and it contains support for the 328.
You dont need to use a virtual machine, thats just how I work.

So all I had to do was install Java, avr-gcc and avr-libc as per the standard linux instructions then applied the diff to Arduino version 12 and it all seems to work as per the linux instructions.

Installing Ubuntu 8.10 to a virtual machine was far quicker than compiling the gcc toolchain manually.

Gordon

What's next ? ATMEGA648 ?

Does this mean the 168 chips can be replaced with the 328 and work with the latest IDE ?

Well my mega328P from Fundamental Logic arrived today :slight_smile: I had previously installed the patched V11 IDE they have on their site, so I just swapped chips and fired her up. Seem to work great with blink compiling, downloading and showing "Binary sketch size: 1176 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)" Wow room to breath :wink:

So a couple of questions:

1. Is there any problems to be aware of in having two versions of the IDE, 11 and 12 installed (in seperate folder) on my Windows XP machine at the same time as long as I only use one version at a time?

2. Has anyone published a complete installable V12 IDE package with the 328P changes yet?

3. Will future versions of the Arduino IDE (V13...) include built in support for the 328P?

Thanks for any responses;

Lefty