Switching on/off a 120VAC motor

I'm pretty sure I understand how this needs to be done, but I want to make sure so I don't ruin my Arduino or anything else. I have a 120VAC geared motor that I want to be able to switch on and off using the Arduino. If I understand right, I'll need to use a relay. While relays that can be switched with 5V and less than 40mA and will switch 120VAC+ do exist, I don't have one...I have a relay that can be switched with 12V and will switch 120VAC+. What I believe I can do is use the Arduino and a transistor to switch a separate 12V source which will in turn switch the relay, which will power the motor.

Am I understanding this right? The Arduino switches the transistor, allowing the 12V source to switch the relay, which will enable power to the motor. Do I need a special transistor? Right now I have some TN4403's, TN2907's and TN3906. I read that I need a TIP120, I can only assume it's because the ones I have won't handle 12V or something.

Or you could just buy one of these, de-rating as it says for a non-resistive load.

I'm trying to avoid buying anything, especially for projects that are just whims, it probably won't actually turn into anything, but it's something I'd like to try.

Yep I sensed that.... just be careful with that mains power ]:smiley: Some kind of opto-isolation would be good once you get past the whim stage I guess..

HaLo2FrEeEk:
I'm pretty sure I understand how this needs to be done, but I want to make sure so I don't ruin my Arduino or anything else. I have a 120VAC geared motor that I want to be able to switch on and off using the Arduino. If I understand right, I'll need to use a relay. While relays that can be switched with 5V and less than 40mA and will switch 120VAC+ do exist, I don't have one...I have a relay that can be switched with 12V and will switch 120VAC+. What I believe I can do is use the Arduino and a transistor to switch a separate 12V source which will in turn switch the relay, which will power the motor.

Am I understanding this right? The Arduino switches the transistor, allowing the 12V source to switch the relay, which will enable power to the motor. Do I need a special transistor? Right now I have some TN4403's, TN2907's and TN3906. I read that I need a TIP120, I can only assume it's because the ones I have won't handle 12V or something.

Your basic understanding is correct on all counts. The transistor sizing thing is that the switching transistor must have both voltage and maximum current rating well above what the relay coils voltage and current draw are, so that is what drives selecting the best transistor. Bigger then needed transistor is fine but too small or operating right at it's limit is not. So you learn to read the datasheet for specific transistors to see if it's a good fit for what your circuit will use.

Lefty

You don't need a TIP120 to drive a relay, a much smaller NPN transistor will suffice. Unfortunately, all 3 of those transistor types you list are PNP transistors, so not suitable for this application.

I take a lot of stuff apart and I almost always keep the PCBs, so I'm sure I've got something lying around that has a PNP transistor on it that I can salvage.

Thanks for the responses guys. I know this is just a whim project, but it's helping me to better understand some of these things, how they work and whatnot.