Composite Video Generating

The last few days, I worked on writing a wss. It was not easy, but now widescreen is possible. I have also made some progress on the color stuff. But not on the arduino yet. I first made an application on the pc to generate composite video signals from pictures. It works great. (I got another tool to get it colored again) I will work soon on color for the arduino.

DSC00342.JPG

Some progress on coloring is made, but I can't get those colors to be smooth.
On the picture you can see from top to bottom Red, Green and Blue. (The green is the most bad one. But you can see some green spots)

DSC00393.JPG

This is much better already. (Same picture as above):

DSC00396.JPG

Light blue (#00c0c0):

DSC00444.JPG

Arduino logo:

DSC00450.JPG

I got the colors almost perfect now. :grin:
The Arduino logo, the SNES logo, and an Itembox of mkdd:

DSC00481.JPG

DSC00480.JPG

DSC00482.JPG

Colors:

DSC00488.JPG

DSC00489.JPG

Yes really impressiv work.

Markus_L811:
Yes really impressiv work.

Thanks! It will even become better when I change the resistors of my R2R ladder. They're a bit too high, so that's why the pictures are a bit dark. Here is another picture:

DSC00491.JPG

NSMBU worldmap (aka little details):

DSC00508.JPG

I just tested on a real tv, and it looks very nice! No color errors and such. Keep in mind that it works with a framebuffer, so you can draw on it in runtime. And you can use every color you want!

I've added a video op-amp, and the brightness is much better now.

DSC00524.JPG

I made the wss working again:

DSC00547.JPG

Another widescreen picture in the right proportions:

DSC00549.JPG

Proof of concept video:

(please subscribe)

This is so cool, well done!

I would love to see some more information about wiring etc.

brendanwilding:
This is so cool, well done!

I would love to see some more information about wiring etc.

Thanks!
It is a r2r ladder (kind of) and a video op-amp (which you can get for free). That's it.

I have started working on this a few days ago, and the video op-amp is not needed anymore now. It turned out that the the voltage ratios were not correct. I fixed it, and in combination with a new and better r2r ladder, it works much better. I also switched from 8 to 5 bits, cause that's just more suitable for a 1% r2r ladder.

There are still some color phase errors, but since pal uses phase alternation, those errors are not much noticable.

Hi There.
I just got myself an Arduino due today and thought what better way to try it out then with your cool graphics :slight_smile:
Do you have a library ? or any code I can run. Possibly a circuit diagram if it's not to much trouble of course.
You did a fantastic job on your project, well done
Thanks
BlackSnake

1 Like

BlackSnake:
Hi There.
I just got myself an Arduino due today and thought what better way to try it out then with your cool graphics :slight_smile:
Do you have a library ? or any code I can run. Possibly a circuit diagram if it's not to much trouble of course.
You did a fantastic job on your project, well done
Thanks
BlackSnake

Thanks, I have a sketch you can run (it consists out of multiple files) and I will make a schematic. I will do this when I have time to do so.

1 Like