Arduino Start up issues

I would like some help starting my new Arduino UNO. I had an old one that was working and I was experimenting with. I had an accident and fried it. I bought a new Uno and can not get it to compile. It is recognized by my computer, shows up in device drivers as COM 5, I reloaded drivers, but still when I try to load a simple blink program, it says it compiles but nothing changes. My led is blinking, from what I understand it is loaded to blink. I change the source code to change the blink to a longer duration. But nothing changes. I am getting frustrated because I returned one thinking it was a faulty unit.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To summarize,
New Arduino UNO
Reloaded Arduino 1.03 folder
Reloaded driver when UNO is attached
Program says it compiles but nothing changes

Are you clicking the Tick button (Compile) or the Right Arrow button (Compile and Upload)?

Do you have the correct board selected in the menu Tools > Boards?

What message do you get in the console window (below the sketch edit area) when you click Compile and Upload?

Where did you buy the new one from?

yes, i do select "Uno" and the correct serial port. i select verify/compile, it will say it compiles but nothing changes. i changed the delay in the standard blink program to 3 seconds to see a visual change. but nothing changes in the blinking led connected to pin 13.
i needed this quickly so spent extra and bought at radio shack.
thank you for your replies.

If you select verify/compile the program is not sent to the Arduino, you should also upload it. The upload function is not in the Sketch menu, you should use the right arrow button in the sketch's own window.

thank you, i will give it all a try later today.
i will post my results.

spatula:
If you select verify/compile the program is not sent to the Arduino, you should also upload it. The upload function is not in the Sketch menu, you should use the right arrow button in the sketch's own window.

Upload is in the File menu though. Maybe it should also be in the sketch menu?

Turn on verbose output in preferences and paste the results of the compile here.

thanks to those who replied, it turns out it was novice operator error. using upload was whag i needed to do, everything worked fine.