Installing Bootloader on ATmega328 using AVRISP mkII

I just bought some 328's off of sparkfun without the bootloader installed on them. I have tried installing the bootloader using both the arduino v22 software and AVRStudio using a avrisp mkII programmer. When i try to install using the arduino software I either get a avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F or a avrdude: Yikes! invalid device signature error. I have installed the libsub drivers for the programmer and changed the preferences.txt from upload.using=bootloader to upload.using.avrispmkii. However, none of this seems to help.

When i use the avrstudio, after changing the drivers to the jungo usb drivers that come with it, the program with not even connect with the or recognize the programmer.

I am using a duemilanove board and have checked the connections of all cables involved many times. The red wire of the programmer is attached to pin 1.

Any help is appreicated.

Thanks

The ATmega328 and ATmega328P have different signatures.

ATmega328: 1E 95 14
ATmega328P: 1E 95 0F

Most of the entries in BOARDS.TXT for boards with 328 processor specify the 328P. You may need to create a custom board definition. You can create a local "boards.txt" file in a directory inside a directory called "hardware" in the folder that contains your sketches. You have to re-start the Arduino program to get it to recognize the new boards.

Thanks for the response. Sorry i didn't specify but they are ATMega328p chips. I also updated the avrdude.conf to include these as in Arduino release 0022 they are not included. However nothing is working. I have also tried burning the bootloader using a second arduino chip following this guide http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard off of the arduino website. I added a 120 ohm resistor between 5v and the reset as some of the research i had done said this could be a problem. Once i had this set up i tried to use the adruino as isp option and i almost immediatly got this:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I have no clue what to do from here.

Thanks for the help