Arduino Uno and POV?

Hey guys!

Well I had a question. I was wondering, what is Persistance of Vision?
I want to make a POV, but I have no idea where to start. I'm looking to use about 8 LEDs or so. I don't really want to display text, I just want display shapes, like on a bike wheel.
I want to be able to make a different shapes on a spinning disk, all the way around.
How do I get started with the programming?

Thanks!

FYI,

I know the basics of Arduino programming, pretty much, like blink, delay, analogWrite, digitalWrite, and basic stuff like that.

Persistance of Vision, can be found on Wikipedia (which means it has a probable explanation, but could be wrong).
Based on the Wikipedia page on that in my own language, Persisttance of Vision could be explained as an assumption of some volatile memory function of the human eye.
This is incorrect, but it is an attempt to explain why we see fast changing pictures as a fluildy moving action.
That again would explain why (to humans) movies and television work as some real life experience.

Your professor or teacher wants you to build a clock or some other message that is displayed by some LEDs moving in a circle or swinging on a pendule.
I'm sure you have seen this stuff before.

Be sure to mention this thread as a source in your report.

http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Raspberry/Magic_Wand.html
It is not for an arduino but it is very close.

Actually I'm just doing it for the fun of it. Thanks Grumpy_Mike for the link.