How to pronounce "Arduino" ?

"Add a bit of jazz and swing between the 'Ah' and the 'du' - then say the 'ino' as in "ee no""

Cool, i think that is the better pronunciation for the word ARDUINO.

its made up of two old italian words(latin based) it means "hard-work" and "small" like the English word "arduous" and ino means small...

eddie

oh. interesting...

According to a recent article from wired magazine (in italian) Hai un’idea geniale? Fai come Mr Arduino, regalala. E diventa ricco - Wired.it
The board was named after a pub in the surroundings of the Interaction Design Institute, Ivrea , Tourin , Italy.
Obviously Arduino is not just a pub's name, it's a proper (not so common) noun!

Arduino is still used as a name and surname, in Italy and probably in most european countries. Infact according to a great italian site for name and surnames (in italian) http://www.gens.labo.net/it/nomi/genera.html?nome=arduino :
"It comes from the germanic name, Harduwin or Hardwin, made by hardu-, "strong" and wini, "friend", spread by the tribal population of the Franks in the IXth century, consolidated thanks to the prestige of few saints and the Italian king Arduino d'Ivrea (1002-1015).
The name day can be celebrated the 15th of august in memory of Saint Arduino from Rimini, died in 1009."

As of today this noun has more spread use as a surname
As you can see from the graph here ARDUINO significato origine cognome famiglia | Gens

The name has even more wide spread use when meaning our lovely microcontroller , so let's take this for the first, most important, meaning of the word Arduino !

On a related note, in quite a few of Arduino project-related video clips I've watched, people pronunce "solder" as "sodder"... never heard that before, maybe it's a US thing (I'm English)...

You Brits. Always making trouble...
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245261985

Well, I'm Italian and I have no difficult saying it out loud :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably the best way to say it is : "Ard" - "do" - "eeno"

with "Ard" like "Hard" but without the H and "do" like the verb "to do"
I hope this make any sense to you, as I said I'm Italian not English mother tongue.

Ah yes. Well at least I'm not imagining it :slight_smile:

Now don't get me started on "innernet" ;D

Now I finally know!

I just call it 'the microcontroller' or 'that, err, the arduee, oh,whatever. That board I always play with.' It is quite annoying not being able to pronounce arduino.

Grr, you people.

Do I really have to post it again?

There...

/thread

Coding Badly: This line "I put my soldering iron in it's hoLder, not it's hodder." pretty much sums it up :smiley:

I call it ''The Holy Microcontroller''
this is the most funny topic :stuck_out_tongue:

I am Italian and the files posted by D3C3PT1C0N are perfect.
Also the description given by lucky83 is ok.

When I was looking for a book for the Microcontroller I pronounced it as "Ar dwee noh" and the sales person knew exactly what I was talking about. Two weeks prior to me asking, I guess another customer was asking for the same thing, so in the Northwest US, we pronounce it "ar dwee noh".

This is a test messsage to enable active links.

Try this for a start :

;=)

I pronounce it

Ar-Doo-En-O

Which is what, to me, the voice dude sounds like he's saying... to me anyway

I'm going to eat anyone else who responds in this thread...

/thread was a long time ago ;D

I'm going to eat anyone else who responds in this thread..

Can't you just throw lightning bolts at them, eating people is so...messy.

Lefty