Go Down

Topic: LCD Programming: Instruction Set vs Arduino Library (which one to follow first?) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

GolamMostafa

In the former semester, senior level engineering students were exposed to Arduino UNO/LCD Programming based on Arduino Library Functions.  They, in general, were happy at these quick and interesting methods of LCD Programming; but, few of them wanted to program the LCD using its Instruction Set first and then Arduino Library.

Please, let me know about your opinion/experience: In the coming semester, should I begin with the Instruction Set (where all timing functions would be generated using/addressing the internal registers of the LCD; Fig-1, 2) first and then the Library Function or the reverse? Please be known that the majority of the students (population: 135) were just feeling comfort in the LCD Programming using the 4-bit data lines library functions.  

Figure-1: Schematic of the LCD module with Arduino UNO with 8-bit data lines

Figure-2: Instruction Set of the LCD

jbellavance

Hi,

You are teaching
senior level engineering students.
They should be able to handle the LCD's instruction set.

I am not surprised...
that the majority of the students (population: 135) were just feeling comfort in the LCD Programming using the 4-bit data lines library functions.
Students are students. The less you ask from them, the less you will get.

The real question is: How much do you want from them?

Jacques
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Go Up